1) In philosophy and metaphysics, a theory or belief that all observable phenomena can be explained by physical causes. This view gained currency among philosophers during the transition from the late Agricultural Age to the early Industrial Age. To varying degrees and in various forms it is a common memetic element in most cultures that bear Industrial or later levels of technology.
2) The belief that mechanical systems, devices, or persons are fundamentally superior to biological systems, devices, or persons. This may be in reference to the materials ("wet" versus "dry" technology), to mode of origin (evolved versus designed), to both, or to other more esoteric and less tangible concepts. Mechanists are generally considered to be the counterparts of bioists. Just as bioists prefer or revere b-life, mechanists give precedence to m-life, and prefer hylotech or hylonanotech to biotech and bionano. A degree of mechanist belief is common among vecs. Among the Sephirotic hypercultures, the exemplar of this point of view is the Metasoft Version Tree, which is a strong but relatively moderate proponent of Mechanist beliefs, and a counterpart to the Zoeific Biopolity and its similarly moderate bioism. Some extreme Mechanists assert that b-life forms and systems should be carefully restricted; others believe that b-life should be entirely eradicated.
- Materialism - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Religious or philosophical system that asserts that the physical universe of matter and energy, r/l and vir, is the only reality. Popular in a number of polities and empires. The most widespread and popular is MPA Materialism, which asserts that the material world has endless possibilities and these can be manifested through action.
- Meatling - Text by John B
Derogatory term used by some members of vecs or alife clades for bionts or for partially biont beings such as cyborgs. Has been known to start many a bar brawl or equivalent socially acceptable hostile reaction, from lawsuit to return insult to social stigma to loss of trading privileges.
- Pure Soul Reformation, The