Cultural Refugia from the Nanoswarms
Early Interstellar Colonies with historically important records of the Pre-Nanoswarm Ages
|Red, a colony ship that took colonists (and vital historical data) to Nova Terra, Tau Ceti|
Though the Nanodisaster meant the end of many earlier cultures, and many records of earlier times, there were a number of survivals either of the cultures themselves or information concerning them.
The Nanoswarms had a very large deletion effect on available information within Solsys, since so many data banks were destroyed or (worse) corrupted or altered in the confusion. Though many individual habitats throughout Solsys, and many individual sites on Old Earth itself, claimed to have survived unscathed and preserved their data stores intact through the subsequent "Dark Ages", there is always the suspicion that they too were affected. However, some colonists had already departed Solsys with very large fractions of human knowledge, long before the Nanoswarm era began. Many historians regard these as the best source of knowledge regarding pre-Nanoswarms history. They include:
* Tau Ceti, Nova Terra (founded 490 AT)
* Sigma Draconis, Penglai (founded 578 AT)
* Epsilon Indi (founded 718 AT)
* Epsilon Eridani (Interplanetary Age)
* Barnard's Star, Barnard Belt (Interplanetary Age)
* Wolf 359 (Interplanetary Age)
* Sirius (Interplanetary Age)
* Pi-3 Orionis, Daedalus (founded 699 & 739, later collapsed)
* Delta Pavonis, Darwin (Interplanetary Age)
* Beamrider Network colonies at Yang, Yin, Ross 128, and Struve 2398 (founded 361 to 529 AT)
Some individuals who left in GAIA's "arks", and in so-called 'Backyarder' ships had varying amounts of historically important data from the pre-Nanoswarm era and sometimes even collections of pre-Nanoswarm information. Some of the craft which left in the period following the Great Expulsion are listed below:-
* Alpha Centauri (arrived ???, presumably failed)
* Tau Ceti (4 arrive between 596 and 616)
* Epsilon Eridani (launched ???, arrived ???)
* 40 Eridani ( launched ???, arrived ???; failed 850s)
* Epsilon Indi (Starlark launched 645 arrived 764, further arks arrived soon after)
* Zarathustra (heteromorphic tweaks [Nedyne Industries] left Solsys in 551, arrived c.838)
* GL 877, Dorranok (Doran clade mission launched 629)
* Epsilon Eridani ("Bismillah" mission launched 544, arrived ???)
* Epsilon Indi (Hindi expansion vessel arrived 880)
* 18 Scorpii (Great South American Alliance mission 4 arks launched 700, 3 more launched afterwards; 6 arrive)
* Beta Virginis ("New World" arrives 856)
* MyuvYin (Tweak Bioborg clade, settled 892)
. Many failed arks were intercepted later in history and in a few cases individuals and/or their data stores have been forensically reconstructed; they are considered great treasure troves by historians. The few successful and the many derelict expeditions from the Backyarder era are similarly valuable to historians. It is believed that all such refugees and immigrants have now been collected and accounted for and retrieved, excepting those who beamed themselves out of Solsys as information.
Few individual colonists or AIs have personally survived to the present age, however. Most of those who have are much changed by the passage of time, and some have ascended to transapient status, and often decline to give details about their reminiscences.
Text by Stephen Inniss, with additions by Graham Hopgood
Initially published on 12 June 2006.
page uploaded 12 June 2006, last modified 20 March 2008