Eschatology is a term for all studies dealing with the ultimate fate of the cosmos. This includes extrapolation into the future of observations or hypotheses about the present cosmic order, and various projections, speculations or beliefs pertaining to the ultimate destiny of mindkind and the universe.
- Afterlife / Immortality - Text by Steve Bowers
While many sentients choose to stay in a physical body and experience physical immortality, others like to explore various - usually technologically mediated - afterlife options. There are a great many alternatives, and the question of toposophic ascent makes things even more unpredictable.
- Agnostic Deliverance Speculation - Text by Glen Finney
A speculation that it would be possible for an omnipotent being to arise in another spacetime continuum, and then "observe" the entirety of our spacetime continuum, which would be a holistic unity from eir perspective (from the "Big Bang" all the way to the "Heat Death").
- Alphaism - Text by Steve Bowers
A counterpoint to Omega point theology that arose during the Second Federation. Alphaists maintain that intelligence arose extremely early during the universe, and that an advanced civilisation, entity, or group of entities existed at that time.
- Benisolism - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Omegist philosophy of Mahara Benisol. While according to transingularity philosophers it lacks the insights of some of the Empires era posthuman and high hyperturing eschatologist, there is no denying the tremendous influence Benisolism had on all later eschatology, whether near-baseline, superbright, or transingularitan. Without the Benisolist foundation, it is most unlikely there would even have been a science of eschatology.
- Chaos, The - Text by Anders Sandberg
Myth of impending collapse in the Terragen Sphere.
- Classical Omega Point Theory - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Assertion that the future c-boundary of the universe is an Omega Point. Although a number of Tiplerite clades and religions hold this view, it is not widely accepted, especially in the face of evidence that the universe is open rather than closed. The theory originates with information age transhumanist Frank Tipler.
- Cosmic Omega Point - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
An Omega Point on the future c-boundary of the entire universe.
- Enlightenment - Text by Michael LaTorra and M. Alan Kazlev
In some belief systems, a metaphysical state characterized by great compassion, a high level of awareness, and a certain indifference to phenomena that are deemed to be transitory.
- Entropy (metaphysics) - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
In Negentropist cosmology, metaphysics, and eschatology, the essentially "flaw" in the universe, which is to be opposed through encouraging and nurturing of negentropy, and avoidance of wasteful activity; the ultimate goal being the negentropization of the universe.
- Evanescence - Text by Steve Bowers
Unexplained disappearances, also sometimes called vanishings
- Fermi Paradox - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Essentially the question: "If there are other intelligent beings in the Universe, why aren't they here?" After the discovery of alien races this was rephrased as "Why haven't such civilizations that did appear continue to expand until they colonized the entire galaxy?"
- Ginnungagap Theory, The - Text by Anders Sandberg
Theory advanced to explain why the entire universe has not been converted to a single technosphere by the earliest intelligent beings or any of their successors
- Godhead - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
The ineffable Absolute Reality, the Ground of being; the goal of the mystic path.
- Great Toposophic Filter, The - Text by David Jackson, some comments by Steve Bowers
Why are there apparently no greater minds than the S:6 Archailects? No evidence of the emergence of greater minds in the past can be found in the archaeological record, and there is little indication of such minds elsewhere in the universe. Is there some barrier or filter which prevents the emergence of such minds, or do such minds become undetectable when and if they emerge?
- Immanent Omega - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
In Tiplerian Omegism, the developing Omega-being in the last moments of the Omega Point Theory, as it becomes more and more godlike but is still finite.
- Inhibitor, Kalyptic - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Popular kalyptic mythological matrix which claims terragen civilization will eventually be destroyed by inhibitors. Often with naive religious overtones and strong messianic elements; in that those who accept a particular teacher or memeplex will be safe from harm when this occurs.
- Kalyptic - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Eschatological belief that cosmic, galactic, or just Terragen history is moving towards a frightening or disastrous consummation, which will result in the death or destruction of civilization or even current mindkind, usually along with the physical and/or supernaturalist transformation and salvation of a chosen few.
- Light Speed Paranoia - Text by Steve Bowers
Every star is separated from every other star by a distance on the order of light years, and so all information any one star-system can have about its neighbours is years out of date. This makes each star system paranoid about what the others are thinking and planning, so they have to assume the worst.
- Local Omega Point - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
In Classical Tiplerism, an Omega Point on the future c-boundary of a part of the universe (such as an Omegon civilization).
- Maximum Toposophic Level - Text by Daniel Eliot Boese
The belief that further toposophic advancement is impossible or dangerous.
- Omega - Text by Anders Sandberg in his Omega Point Theory List
The Omega Point seen as a single being, archailect, or God.
- Omega Manifold - Text by Mitchell Porter, in Anders Sandberg's Omega Point Theory List
In Omegist theologies, a limit state of the universe where the amount of information stored and processed is infinite (an Omega Point is a pointlike Omega Manifold).
- Omega Point - Text by Anders Sandberg in his Omega Point Theory List
A future c-boundary which is a single point and an Aleph.
- Omega Point Theology - Text by Anders Sandberg, some modifications and additions by M.Alan Kazlev and Steve Bowers
Religio-philosophical evolutionary cosmology that states all consciousness and existence is evolving towards a singularity of limitless perfection and consummation known as the Omega Point.
- Omega Point Theory - Text by Anders Sandberg in his Omega Point Theory List
Also called the Quantum Omega Point Theory. In Classical Tiplerism, Quantum general relativity with the Omega Point as a boundary condition.
- Physical Eschatology - Text by Anders Sandberg in his Transhuman Terminology
Branch of science studying how intelligent life could affect and survive in the remote future.
- Redux Strategy, The - Text by David Jackson
A fall-back position in case of the collapse of civilization.
- Sabinian Kalyptism - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Form of kalyptism that asserts all stable civilizations eventually disintegrate, according to specific variables.
- Transcendent Burn-out Theory - Text by Todd Drashner
Theory that states that that Fermi's Paradox arises from civilisations transcending right out of the universe before they have a chance to expand across cosmologically significant distances.
- Universal Immortalism - Text by M. Alan Kazlev after R. Michael Perry in Anders Sandberg's Transhuman Terminology
The belief that death can be overcome completely, even for people already dead (including bringing back those "dead" who were not placed into biostasis) through a rational, scientific approach. Although popular with some religions and eschatologists, and even a few cliologists, it is not a widely held memeticity.