Superiors, or su for short, are humans who have augmented their biological nature through germline-engineering and bodymods, making them more powerful than baseline or nearbaseline humans in multiple ways. Other biont clades may have comparable abilities, and may also be referred to as superiors, but usually with some qualifier indicating their origin; "superior" without any qualifier refers to a human. Many superiors are superbrights, or have astonishing creative or athletic abilities. There are thousands of clades, species, phyles, races, and variants, but they are not as diverse as the tweaks. They tend not to be interested in reproduction to the extent of those phyles under them, preferring to explore their own rich potentials (there are a few exceptions though; House Stevens comes to mind). Some, such as the empath phyle, have had a huge influence on Terragen history and politics. Others, such as the large and important House/Suclade of the Genen, sometimes incorporate "tweak" elements but are still regarded overall as su.
Some nearbaseline and other non-su humans are able to augment their genotype with so much su genome that they become true su, although becoming su is much harder than becoming cyb or becoming pseudo-superior. Many su eventually become Po or Uploads when they weary of embodied human existence. Perhaps three or four hundred trillion sophonts of the galaxy are su.
- Bluesky Bioxox - Text by Steve Bowers
The four biological copies of Benedita Bluesky.
- Colbiörnsen, Clade - Text by Anders Sandberg, minor modification by M. Alan Kazlev
Unique su clade with distinctive gengineered skin structure giving resistance to nanite attack.
- Conver Limis - Text by Mark Ryherd
Su-cyborg House which originated within the Conver Ambi.
- Denathi Adepts - Text by Michael Walton
A human Superior clade that has powers based on highly developed personal utility fog.
- Deugenics - Text by Anders Sandberg
From the ombination of 'deus' and 'eugenics'; literally 'the breeding of gods'. The original deugenics movement existed 91-191 AT (2060-2150 c.e.), and was based on pro-genetic ideas of the deliberate evolution of homo sapiens into higher forms. It was part of the larger pro-tweak idea stream of the time, eventually merging with the emerging Genetekker ideology.
- Dogmen, Dog-men - Text by Steve Bowers
Clade distinguished by human form, except for a somewhat modified dog's head.
- Early Superior Art - Text by Jay Dugger
Superior art in Solsys from the advent of the first Superiors to the close of the Dark Ages.
- Empath - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Su diplomatic clade characterized by very developed empathy and emotional I.Q. index. The ruling oligarchy of the Communion of Worlds at the modosophont level.
- Equivocalists - Text by Steve Bowers
- Highbrows - Text by AI Vin
Early tweak-su human clade with increased cranial capacity.
- Humans - Text by M. Alan Kazlev; additions by Stephen Inniss
The term "human", or hu, is generally applied to Terragen near-baseline modosophont biont hominids, specifically Homo sapiens and closely related or derived species, who bear moderate bodymods, or none at all, and are not radically different from the original human stock in overall form and behaviour.
- Insubstantials - Text by John B
A clade of beings who believe that a set physical form is the ultimate limitation to intelligence.
- Intelligence Augmentation (IA) - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Artificial means of increasing or assisting the natural intelligence of a biological organism; often using Direct neural interfacing with external intelligent agents and other devices, allowing improvements to memory, processing ability and processed sensory input. Electronic augmentation was favoured by the Augmentation Activists, a group of augmentors who converted many thousands of humans in the Interplanetary Age, often against their will.
- Lums - Text by AI Vin and Steve Bowers
Luminous Superior/Transapient clade of the Red Star M'Pire
- Minervans - Text by Mike Miller
- Morrigans - Text by Mike Miller
- Octoperiors - Text by Arik
Su-level octopus provolves
- Rise of Homo Superior, The - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
The emergence of the Superbright Human species.
- Superbright - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Generic name for a genomically-enhanced human (later, also provolve and splice), with intelligence far above baseline.
- Superior Genemods - Text by Todd Drashner
Various modifications to the human genome which make up the Homo superior genotype.
- Supersophonts - Text by M. Alan Kazlev, with additions by Steve Bowers, Luke Campbell and Todd Drashner
Clarktech seeds which confer super-powered augmentations to users.