The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Military SF Writing Project
Hello all,

A former co-worker passed this on to me, thinking that some folks here might be interested in taking a whack at it.

Here's what she passed on to me:

If you're a budding science fiction writer, the Army's Mad Scientist Initiative wants to hear from you. The Initiative is the official name of a program under the intelligence section at Training & Doctrine Command, based at Fort Eustis. It seeks input from groups outside the military and defense industry on how evolving trends will shape the Amry's ability to win future wars and defend the country in the timeframe of 2030 - 2050. The contest runs through February 15.

Complete the release form and read the contest brochure, which describes the format of submissions, at LINK. Email your work to Allison WIner at allison.d.winer.civ@mail.mil

Have funSmile

Todd
(12-05-2016, 12:38 PM)Drashner1 Wrote: Hello all,

A former co-worker passed this on to me, thinking that some folks here might be interested in taking a whack at it.

Here's what she passed on to me:

If you're a budding science fiction writer, the Army's Mad Scientist Initiative wants to hear from you. The Initiative is the official name of a program under the intelligence section at Training & Doctrine Command, based at Fort Eustis. It seeks input from groups outside the military and defense industry on how evolving trends will shape the Amry's ability to win future wars and defend the country in the timeframe of 2030 - 2050. The contest runs through February 15.

Complete the release form and read the contest brochure, which describes the format of submissions, at LINK. Email your work to Allison WIner at allison.d.winer.civ@mail.mil

Have funSmile

Todd

Wait, wait, wait...........is this...........as much as I personally dislike the States (NOTE: Dislike =/= hate for you American nationalists), I am in! I wonder if there are any requ-...............NEIN! I am still too young. Angry Sad
Hard Science Fiction Cadet Author and Ready to Stomp Handwavium
The age requirement doubtless is because, in the US, you have to be at least18 years of age in order to be able to sign a legally binding contract. If you're under 18, then you're legally considered to still be a child, and no contract you sign is legally binding. Although, in principle, your parents (or other legal guardians) could sign such a contract on your behalf, I suspect they simply want to avoid that complication.

Hmmm. I wonder what similar age considerations might be applicable in OA?
Selden
(12-06-2016, 10:26 AM)selden Wrote: The age requirement doubtless is because, in the US, you have to be at least18 years of age in order to be able to sign a legally binding contract. If you're under 18, then you're legally considered to still be a child, and no contract you sign is legally binding. Although, in principle, your parents (or other legal guardians) could sign such a contract on your behalf, I suspect they simply want to avoid that complication.

Hmmm. I wonder what similar age considerations might be applicable in OA?

Fair enough.
Hard Science Fiction Cadet Author and Ready to Stomp Handwavium
Hmmm i dont want to sound shady but is there a cash prize if a person wins? Because my supply of curency is dangerously short. Anyway it looks fun i have plenty of ideals and theories on how a space war would look like i finally have some incentive to put them down on paper.
The prizes are listed on the page referenced above. The only money involved is partial reimbursement for travel to the "Mad Scientist Conference" to present the story, so you can't expect any direct profit. There's likely to be some indirect gain due to the publicity, of course, especially if it persuades someone to contract the author to write something.

Bear in mind that the story is supposed to take place in the near future, between 2030 and 2050. That's only about 14 to 34 years from now.
Selden
Oh yeah im aware of the time frame... Writing a near term story maybe more interesting due to the shear realism of the scenario. Ill probably even get a chance to name drop some potential unexpected superpowers for shock value ie: the phillipines or morocco.
(12-12-2016, 03:19 AM)Fsci123 Wrote: Oh yeah im aware of the time frame... Writing a near term story maybe more interesting due to the shear realism of the scenario. Ill probably even get a chance to name drop some potential unexpected superpowers for shock value ie: the phillipines or morocco.

Maybe. At the extreme end of the time scale, it might be fun to remember the scenario that Drexler put forward. It involves nanotech, and the essence is that some high-tech but very small polity (he chose Singapore) decides to go all out for semi-autonomous (weak AI, probably) nanoassembler networks.

There are some rather odd seismic and audio anomalies in the China Sea, and one fine day a couple of million tons of semi-autonomous weapons rise out of the sea - and Singapore is the newest superpower.