The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Passengers (film)
I just got back from seeing it at the cinema and if any of you have time this holiday I strongly suggest seeing it. It's very good, about a colony ship on a sub-light journey to another habitable planet. Everyone is in stasis but one day a passenger wakes up with no way of going back under, 90 years too early.

The ship design is really cool and is very realistic for a Hollywood film (it has a plasma shield for dealing with micrometeorites for instance). For an OA comparison is quite similar to a worldship, designed to be a nice place to live as well as a system of transport.

OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
I'm going to have to see this, to see what they got right, and what they fudged. The first thing I notice is that the ship has a heck of a lot of living space for a sleeper ship, but it doesn't seem to have much fuel tankage or heat radiators. One wonders what the drive system is.

Weird, too, that the rotation seems to stop as soon as the drive is turned off

The water should slosh sideways, of course, when the rotation stops - it certainly sloshes, but I'm unclear as to which way is 'sideways' on this beautifully twisted ship.
Lol yeah it's not 100% realistic. The justification for the spinning stopping is that the whole ship isn't spinning. The hab sections are and there are counter rotating weights (or at least that's what they looked like).

Fuel they just gloss over. As for space they're meant to live on it for months, and longer, whilst they set up the colony. So in essence it's a mobile hab.

I'd try not to get bogged down too much in the fine details. Overall the film is far better than Hollywood norm with just enough gloss to tell a good story and present some great visuals.
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
Personally I liked the Avalon, it looked just the kind of generation ship we could see in the Current era.
(06-13-2017, 11:18 AM)terranova210486 Wrote: Personally I liked the Avalon, it looked just the kind of generation ship we could see in the Current era.

I totally agree with you on that.
(08-10-2017, 07:51 PM)terranova210486 Wrote:
(06-13-2017, 11:18 AM)terranova210486 Wrote: Personally I liked the Avalon, it looked just the kind of generation ship we could see in the Current era.

You realise you're agreeing with yourself?
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
(08-10-2017, 08:24 PM)Rynn Wrote:
(08-10-2017, 07:51 PM)terranova210486 Wrote:

You realise you're agreeing with yourself?

Whoops Blush