Technology Timeline: Possible improvements
Typo on my part got copied:

Approx. 200000 b.c.e. -- Emergence of Homo Sapiens
Approx. 170000 b.c.e. -- Homo Sapiens developed clothing
should be
Approx. 200000 b.c.e. - Emergence of Homo Sapiens
Approx. 170000 b.c.e. - Homo Sapiens developed clothing
Selden
89 - Whole Entertainment Enterprises' Mesozoic Wanderings represents a significant experiment in A-life that has applications beyond entertainment.

What was "Mesozoic Wanderings"?  Was a it type of A- life or an environment for A- life?  Also, I feel that this date doesn't have a lot of context.  Maybe we should link the word "A- life" to an OA A- life article?

http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-topic/45b2afc424975

Also, do y'all think this entry should be a candidate for going on to the technology timeline?
I would prefer to get rid of this altogether, I think. It is too near-future and specific. It also seems to be a virtual version of Jurassic Park, which is a nice idea, but unlikely to be worthy of mention in a technology timeline. Virtual worlds will probably be very detailed and immersive by 89 AT, but I'd hesitate to speculate on what the most popular ones would be.
Agree with steve on this.
Also agree with Steve. Both for the reasons he mentions and because slimming down the timeline seems like a good thing on general principles.

Todd
(07-22-2017, 06:03 PM)stevebowers Wrote: I would prefer to get rid of this altogether, I think. It is too near-future and specific. It also seems to be a virtual version of Jurassic Park, which is a nice idea, but unlikely to be worthy of mention in a technology timeline. Virtual worlds will probably be very detailed and immersive by 89 AT, but I'd hesitate to speculate on what the most popular ones would be.

I agree. We should get rid of it altogether.
Here's a related entry.

94 - First convincing dinosaur 'reverse engineered' by modifying chicken DNA. It is the size of a turkey and does not resemble any known species. It excites widespread interest. Jurassic Park Retro comes briefly into fashion during the northern summer.

http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-topic/45b2afc424975

Should we keep, delete, or do something else with this entry?
I would suggest doing the following:

a) Remove the last sentence. I would just as soon remove such references to RL entertainment or cultural events of the present or recent past.

b) Move this development back by a good bit. Currently this entry is listed as taking place in 2062 CE. However, per the Technology Timeline there are major gengineering advances in the 2100-2110 CE timeframe, the superbright human genome is recognized in 2130, and the Merpeople are created in 2145. Several new human species are created in 2200.

Based on all that, I'd suggest moving this back to somewhere after 2100, but before 2145. Although I'll defer to our resident bioscience folks if they thing it would work at an earlier period or should be moved back further yet.

My 2c worth,

Todd
The 'dinochicken' idea is quite reasonable, and probably represents the best way to get near a lazurogened theropod, if nothing else - although it might be a good idea to start with a hoatzin rather than a chicken. As to timescale - well, maybe another 50 years might be more accurate.
I've removed the Mesozoic Wanderings entry, and moved the dinochicken entry back to 144 AT.