The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Full Version: Appleseed by Masamune Shirow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Are there any other fans of Appleseed on the site. It seems it would have many elements that would attract OA contributors; Cyborgs, Arcologies, genetically engineered humans. It even has a super computer called Gaia.

Shirow is probably better known for his other work, Ghost in the Shell. But I think Appleseed is the superior work.

*Edit: I thought I would update my previous post with links to some of Shirow's beautiful art.

Cyborgs

Arcologies

GAIA
I've got the manga's and anime.
(04-10-2017, 06:23 PM)terranova210486 Wrote: [ -> ]I've got the manga's and anime.

I've seen a few of the anime. I don't think they match the manga for sheer number of ideas per scene.
What impresses me about Shirow's work is how well most of it has aged. SF as a genre tends to age badly, for obvious reasons. Ghost in the Shell is 28, and Appleseed is 32 this year. Besides a few small details here and there, it all still feels futuristic.

I wish he was still making good stuff. For the last twenty years he's been devoting himself to making really creepy erotic art.
I think is ages so well because of the number of ideas he fitted into each book. The characters would talk easily about economics, mechanical engineering or particle physics.

I agree, it's said he isn't producing SF anymore. I accidentally came across Hypernotes a few weeks ago and thought he had published a new book. I was disappointed to read it and realize it was only an outline for a book.