The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Full Version: Proof-reading EG
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's been suggested that this sub-forum is the appropriate place for reporting sundry typographical, grammatical and stylistic errors in EG articles. That is, anything which appears to be wrong as a structural matter rather than of fact or interpretation. In my browsing of the EG I've come across rather a lot of such things and so propose a single thread devoted to them rather than having a plethora of threads. It may also be appropriate for admins to delete posts once their subject matter has been dealt with satisfactorily.

To kick things off, here is one from the Carbon Nanotube article. There it is stated formed from the same pentagonal patterns as buckyballs. whereas the accompanying illustration clearly shows hexagonal patterns. Buckyballs themselves contain both pentagonal and hexagonal faces. As far as I know, carbon nanotubes are rolled up graphene and contain only hexagonal rings, though other forms may have been synthesized.

Suggestion: replace pentagonal with hexagonal.

(Added in edit: Oh the irony. A tyop in the post itself. Now fixed.)
An excellent idea. There are three ways to arrange CNT; armchair, zigzag and chiral (which I suppose is two different ways itself, making four distinguishable types in total). All of these use hexagons, and so does graphene. Fixed.
[Image: Struct_tubes.jpg]

The idea of staring a new thread for EG errors and typos is an excellent one.
Good idea! I've made this a sticky thread so it will be easily found at all times.

Thanks for your help on this!

Todd
Remove references to the strangelet ban from the following articles and do a search across the site to find and remove any others

Ao Lai, Conversion weapons, Sagittarius Sphere, Siris Habitat, Sirius, The Version War, The Wilds (and possibly others).
(03-10-2014, 12:24 AM)Drashner1 Wrote: [ -> ]Remove references to the strangelet ban from the following articles and do a search across the site to find and remove any others

Ao Lai, Conversion weapons, Sagittarius Sphere, Siris Habitat, Sirius, The Version War, The Wilds (and possibly others).

This has been fixed.

Note: For some reason the OA site search engine thinks that Strangelets are mentioned on the page for the Solar Dominion. However, Windows word find function doesn't show anything.
Just a minor thing I came across:
"Sailors are air breathers like dolphins or porpoises and fill much the same ecological niche on their world. They are water breathers and can fill their shells with water and collapse their sails to sink beneath the surface..."
Suggestion: clarify air vs. water breathing, or establish that they can breath both air and water.
[EG] Sailor
I don't know if Sailors are air- or water- breathers, or both; but I've added an image, showng my impression of what they might look like
http://www.orionsarm.com/xcms.php?r=oaeg...2ebdf1e29c
Might be an idea to mention which planet they come from as well - maybe Trees, which already has a class of pseudoarthropoda...
I've updated the article based on the feedback here. Please review and tell me what you think.

ToddSmile
(03-25-2014, 12:38 PM)Drashner1 Wrote: [ -> ]I've updated the article based on the feedback here. Please review and tell me what you think.

ToddSmile

I like it! It was a good idea to integrate into Trees' list of lifeforms, it serves to illustrate life in some of the other biomes of the planet. I'm thinking about actually submitting some other organisms to flesh out the ecology of the planet some more... I have an idea for an aquatic predator that would hunt these creatures, as well as some sketches of the various types of Honeywhip.