The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums
Magnetic monopoles - Printable Version

+- The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums (https://www.orionsarm.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Offtopics and Extras; Other Cool Stuff (https://www.orionsarm.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Real Life But OA Relevant (https://www.orionsarm.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Magnetic monopoles (/showthread.php?tid=742)

Magnetic monopoles - crevicecrab - 01-30-2014

It seems that magnetic monopoles have been created and observed for the first time by Amherst College and Aalto University researchers. Read moreHere, HereandHere

RE: Magnetic monopoles - Dalex - 01-31-2014

(01-30-2014, 06:37 PM)crevicecrab Wrote: It seems that magnetic monopoles have been created and observed for the first time by Amherst College and Aalto University researchers. Read moreHere, HereandHere

Sorry but no. These are indeed monopoles but they are not the elementary particle that is often referenced in OA and that is predicted by Supersymmetry. This is quasi particle and many similar to it have been demonstrated over last decade.

But it is still interesting because it proves Dirac right and that his models may later be used in search for actual elementary monopoles.

RE: Magnetic monopoles - crevicecrab - 02-01-2014

Of course it isn't a 'OA monopole'. However this is to my knowledge the first experimental confirmation of Dirac's research on the subject- which means that Dirac is right and that we now have a clear model for monopole research and eventually production. I'd say this may be the most significant experimental discovery of 2014.

RE: Magnetic monopoles - Dalex - 02-01-2014

(02-01-2014, 03:46 AM)crevicecrab Wrote: Of course it isn't a 'OA monopole'. However this is to my knowledge the first experimental confirmation of Dirac's research on the subject- which means that Dirac is right and that we now have a clear model for monopole research and eventually production. I'd say this may be the most significant experimental discovery of 2014.

As of now there have been several attempts to find elementary magnetic monopoles (stuff that magmatter would be made of) all unsuccesful.
While this proves that Dirac was right about properties of monopolic magnetic charge, it does not tell us where to look for it's elementary counterpart (I mean of course range of energies).

As for production. Elementary particles can be produced by colliders such as LHC but to this day none were detected.
These are results from LHC experiment MoEDAL that is looking specificaly for monopoles. Their results seem to prove that there are no monopoles lighter than 3500 Gev. That is pretty constraining.
On an unrelated note none of the particles predicted by SUSY was detected yet either.

RE: Magnetic monopoles - tmazanec1 - 02-02-2014

(02-01-2014, 04:13 AM)Dalex Wrote:
(02-01-2014, 03:46 AM)crevicecrab Wrote: Of course it isn't a 'OA monopole'. However this is to my knowledge the first experimental confirmation of Dirac's research on the subject- which means that Dirac is right and that we now have a clear model for monopole research and eventually production. I'd say this may be the most significant experimental discovery of 2014.

As of now there have been several attempts to find elementary magnetic monopoles (stuff that magmatter would be made of) all unsuccesful.
While this proves that Dirac was right about properties of monopolic magnetic charge, it does not tell us where to look for it's elementary counterpart (I mean of course range of energies).

As for production. Elementary particles can be produced by colliders such as LHC but to this day none were detected.
These are results from LHC experiment MoEDAL that is looking specificaly for monopoles. Their results seem to prove that there are no monopoles lighter than 3500 Gev. That is pretty constraining.
On an unrelated note none of the particles predicted by SUSY was detected yet either.

Is this constraining in the sense that "any magnetic monopoles would have energies beyond our current technology to produce" or the sense that "theory shows that magnetic monopoles must have masses below 3500 Gev and thus probably do not exist"?

RE: Magnetic monopoles - Dalex - 02-02-2014

(02-02-2014, 05:17 AM)tmazanec1 Wrote: Is this constraining in the sense that "any magnetic monopoles would have energies beyond our current technology to produce" or the sense that "theory shows that magnetic monopoles must have masses below 3500 Gev and thus probably do not exist"?

Actually neither since our technology is capable of reaching higher levels of energy even when we use existing facilities like LHC.

There are dozens of models predicting magnetic monopoles and many of them are not very developed as of now. Also there are possibly hundreds or even more possible models predicting monopoles that were not yet discovered or discussed. That being said we have a problem unless new particles are detected in following years or other important particle physics discovery is made. You see at this point we are still stuck with Standard model. We know it does not account for everything in universe (dark matter, neutrino oscillations, gravity) but so far we have few leads about next theory.
For some time GUT seemed promising but since no proton decay was ever detected it doesn't look good for it.
Superstrings are also nice but since no superpartners were detected and no extra dimensions (large or small) were found they (Superstring theories) are seriously constrained.

In the end perhaps only way to rule out the wrong models and find those which fit best would be some sort of computer algorithm.
There is so much data today that extreme amount has to be thrown into trash so computers wouldn't be overloaded.

In short we might need specialized AI to do the job for us.

RE: Magnetic monopoles - Tachyon - 02-04-2014

(02-01-2014, 04:13 AM)Dalex Wrote:

Not sure where you got that. The PDG puts a lower limit of 120 GeV on monopole masses.

http://pdg.lbl.gov/2013/reviews/rpp2013-rev-mag-monopole-searches.pdf

We don't have a clear path to making monopoles. What was done was setting up a quantum system which behaved like a monopole. Dirac's predictions were confirmed, which tells us we got the theory right. Note that baryon catalysis was not confirmed, due to limitations of the setup. In essence, you need a real monopole of the correct type to check this.

Likewise, SUSY has a lot of parameter space unreachable by the LHC. The MSSM puts light gauginos in the TeV range, which is just barely accessible.

RE: Magnetic monopoles - Dalex - 02-05-2014

(02-04-2014, 07:34 PM)Tachyon Wrote: Not sure where you got that. The PDG puts a lower limit of 120 GeV on monopole masses.

http://pdg.lbl.gov/2013/reviews/rpp2013-rev-mag-monopole-searches.pdf

We don't have a clear path to making monopoles. What was done was setting up a quantum system which behaved like a monopole. Dirac's predictions were confirmed, which tells us we got the theory right. Note that baryon catalysis was not confirmed, due to limitations of the setup. In essence, you need a real monopole of the correct type to check this.

Likewise, SUSY has a lot of parameter space unreachable by the LHC. The MSSM puts light gauginos in the TeV range, which is just barely accessible.

I should've posted my source earlier I guess http://arxiv.org/pdf/1311.6940.pdf

I didn't say that SUSY is completely ruled out all I said was that so far none of the particles predicted by it and not standart model were found.
That doesn't mean they're not there but it's heavily constraining and theory requires some fine tuning to account for that.
In addition LUX has not found any neutralinos http://arxiv.org/pdf/1310.8214v1.pdf so it doesn't look good for SUSY on that front either.

RE: Magnetic monopoles - Tachyon - 02-07-2014

(02-05-2014, 12:43 AM)Dalex Wrote: I should've posted my source earlier I guess http://arxiv.org/pdf/1311.6940.pdf

That paper doesn't rule out all monopoles with a mass < 3500GeV. It rules out monopoles with a mass < 3500 GeV produced from hadronic jets.

You do realize that particle interactions are highly specific? QCD interactions are governed by the CKM matrix, for example.

These results say nothing about cosmological relic monopoles, monopole-axion interactions, or other such cases.

(02-05-2014, 12:43 AM)Dalex Wrote: I didn't say that SUSY is completely ruled out all I said was that so far none of the particles predicted by it and not standart model were found.
That doesn't mean they're not there but it's heavily constraining and theory requires some fine tuning to account for that.
In addition LUX has not found any neutralinos http://arxiv.org/pdf/1310.8214v1.pdf so it doesn't look good for SUSY on that front either.

I know folks that work on LUX. The 2013 run was an instrumentation/fine-tuning run. No one expects solid scientific data until the 2014 run at the earliest.