The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Demigod by Jaron Lee Knuth
I downloaded this book a few hours ago and thought I'd recommend it. It's currently free as a kindle copy:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Demigod-ebook/dp...ds=Demigod

The book could be good inspiration for some aspects of OA. I'll start by saying it isn't a great book but it is an interesting one. The plot concerns the protagonist, Ben, receiving psychic powers after decades of being a patient in a care home due to his mental illnesses. At first he uses these powers for social advantage, then as they grow he becomes a stereotypical superhero and eventually he becomes godlike and starts taking on governments and societies as a whole to make the world a better place.

The story could have done with a bit more intelligent thought. Ben eventually becomes godlike but still makes mistakes that made me cringe and acted in ways that are stupid or unnecessary. For instance: (minor spoiler) despite being able to read the mind of everyone on Earth and draw from their knowledge he can't think of a better way of dealing with the worlds problems than brute force and often violence. A more interesting story would have had him use his powers to introduce various disruptive changes that lead to the current economic and social status quos fall g apart naturally IMO. The reason I think this could have a lot of input to OA is by drawing potential analogies to a transap with an angelnet taking over a prim society for it's own good. Although in this case Ben is less of a transap and more of a su trying to do his best.

Anyho, if anyone reads it enjoy Smile
I am a bit more open to the trope of the 'dumb protagonist' than some other readers. In emergencies ordinary people make mistakes, and lots of people make less-than-optimal decisions. The super-competent character who always knows what to do is, in the OA universe, likely to be a transapient or avatar of a god, but wouldn't be an easy character to identify with.

On the other hand the 'su trying to do his best' (or even the modo trying even harder and perhaps failing) is a more interesting character, to me at least.
Believe me I'm the same. I love characters with real personalities and limitations, it makes for a far more inspiring story. I get so turned off by film and TV especially that has an invincible, unflappable (usually macho) killer as the hero. What I meant with this character was that some of his limitations seem inconsistent with his powers even though most of it can be put down to his having godlike ability but not wisdom.