The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Suggestion: New Page for Organizations
Hey everyone,

Just a suggestion that I'm making here - forgive me if I'm getting a bit ahead of myself with this idea, haha. I was just gonna suggest that a new page be created specifically for organizations. If such a page were to be created, it should probably be under the "Culture & Society" section of EG. Just as the "Personalities" page has a number of subpages for different types of sophonts (ascended/non-ascended and such), a page on the organizations of the OA universe should probably have a few too - the first ones that come to mind are "Churches" and "Institutes" (we already have a page on institutes anyway, I believe). If possible, the article on religion could have its name changed to "Churches and Religions" to include articles based on both belief systems and churches themselves. For convenience's sake, I feel that "Megacorps" could also be linked from here - the article seems to be linked only to economics from Culture & Society. ;p

I feel that this page could be useful to make pages on different organizations easier to find - there are bound to be quite a few articles detailing organizations that cant exactly be described as either churches or institutes, after all. ;p

Once again, please forgive me if I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here - just a small addition I thought the community may find useful. Big Grin

James

EDIT: If we decide to go along with this idea, I think "Groups & Organizations" could be a nice name for the article itself. ;p
Hmm. We'll need to give a bit of thought and discussion to this on the managing board.

If we're up to our usual standard of speed on these kinds of conversations, that'll probably take a week or two.

We'll get back to youSmile

Todd
(09-26-2015, 10:58 AM)Drashner1 Wrote: Hmm. We'll need to give a bit of thought and discussion to this on the managing board.

If we're up to our usual standard of speed on these kinds of conversations, that'll probably take a week or two.

We'll get back to youSmile

Todd

Thanks! Big Grin

One other thing I might note that may support this idea is a few pages I found on organizations that don't really fit under the categorization of "Megacorps", "Institutes" or "Churches" that could potentially go under the hypothetical "Groups & Organizations" page:

Algol Broadcasting Foundation
BoB (Board of Boards - linked to Institutes, but I'm not sure if this category is correct given its nature)
Humanity First!
Simply Connect!
League of Legitimate Businessbeings
KROME1101
Aimhem is more of an organisation than an institute;
http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/45e64bd699c80
(09-26-2015, 10:58 PM)stevebowers Wrote: Aimhem is more of an organisation than an institute;

Ayup. There are quite a few organizations under "institute" that really shouldn't be, but there doesn't really seem to be anywhere else to put them under, at the moment. That's why I feel this page could be quite useful.
(09-26-2015, 11:07 PM)Centauri5921 Wrote:
(09-26-2015, 10:58 PM)stevebowers Wrote: Aimhem is more of an organisation than an institute;

Ayup. There are quite a few organizations under "institute" that really shouldn't be, but there doesn't really seem to be anywhere else to put them under, at the moment. That's why I feel this page could be quite useful.

It would also allow readers to see organizations through more than one lens. For instance, a particular religious order or church might be seen, as implied now by the way we categorize them, to arise from a particular set of beliefs. On the other hand it could be seen as a particular set of customs and traditions and economic arrangements without particular reference to those beliefs. Likewise some of OA's megacorps are rather more than mere economic actors; they have other dimensions beyond profit and loss.
Stephen
It's been two weeks. No word on this suggestion yet, no?
No one has raised any objections and three members of the Board have spoken in favor. So I'm not seeing an issue with just going forward with it.

This will need some text to go on the page. Do you have something in mind or should I just make something up?
(10-12-2015, 06:12 AM)Drashner1 Wrote: No one has raised any objections and three members of the Board have spoken in favor. So I'm not seeing an issue with just going forward with it.

This will need some text to go on the page. Do you have something in mind or should I just make something up?

Uh, if you'd like, I could PM you a draft a little later? If you or someone else would prefer to do it, that's cool, too. Big Grin
You can just put it up here, and I'll pick it up and make the new page. This might also act as inspiration if anyone else has an idea for an organisation or two.