The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Freefall Dancing
In all the sci-fi novel depictions of zero-G sports, or dancing, or sex, Hollywood taught me to imagine it slow. But in free fall in a vertical wind tunnel, it can something much faster and fantastic.

Single dancer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcweBmX7dKo

Team:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HukJtKIcoy4

Seriously folks: 99.99% of humanity's history has been spent grunting around on the ground. Now a confluence of aerodynamic, electric, and mechanical engineering makes it possible to dance like a leaf on the wind? That's cool.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer
----------------------

"Everbody's always in favor of saving Hitler's brain, but when you put it in the body of a great white shark, oh, suddenly you've gone too far." -- Professor Farnsworth, Futurama
I've done this (not danced of course lol) and the instructors were amazing at it. They'd fly around so naturally pulling off crazy manuevers. I could barely lie flat for more than ten seconds without drifting into a wall Tongue

RE movement in zero-G I think OA clades, especially those heavily space adapted, would be as agile and graceful in microgravity as fish are in the ocean. I've visualised free-fall habs before as being quite roomy but with lots of surfaces/objects spread throughout the place to swing, push or otherwise maneuver off of.
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
Dancing in a vertical wind tunnel is very different to dancing in microgravity; but it might be an idea to put wind streams into a microgravity arena to allow the dancers to move rapidly around the stage.
(01-29-2016, 02:19 AM)Rynn Wrote: RE movement in zero-G I think OA clades, especially those heavily space adapted, would be as agile and graceful in microgravity as fish are in the ocean. I've visualised free-fall habs before as being quite roomy but with lots of surfaces/objects spread throughout the place to swing, push or otherwise maneuver off of.

Senator Nelson visited my elementary class shortly after his shuttle flight and gave a half-hour discussion of his experience. One thing that stood out to me was his description of attempting to maneuver in zero-G for the first time: he pushed off using his legs like he was trying to move his weight in 1G. He slammed head first into the far wall of the shuttle's cabin and nearly knocked himself out. Thereafter, it was a matter of pushing around with fingers and toes. Carefully.

Like Steve said, wind streams might help move around more rapidly. The real advantage, IMO, would be aid in mid-flight maneuvering and braking so you don't smack head first into the far side of large rooms. Smile
----------------------

"Everbody's always in favor of saving Hitler's brain, but when you put it in the body of a great white shark, oh, suddenly you've gone too far." -- Professor Farnsworth, Futurama
You could have an array of small but powerful fans in the walls, controlled by an app in your exoself computer - this would allow you to perform controlled flight in three dimensions by differentially adjusting the fans. This would be considerably more complicated if there were more than one dancer.
And some more freefall dancing, this time via Vomit Comet. It's a pop music video, but if the music doesn't suit you then you can use the mute button. Wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6fyWs8KSdE
----------------------