The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Safe Acension for Baseline Bob
(04-23-2016, 04:11 AM)QwertyYerty Wrote: How did the first human acension happen?

I don't think we've ever gone into the details of that, other than to say that humans (more generally bionts) didn't figure out how to ascend until some thousands of years after the AIs (and later uploads) did.

When OA was first created, it was much more focused on the 'present day' thousands of years in the future, with all of the intermediate history just being there to provide a bit of backstory. Since then, people have become more interested in the earlier parts of the timeline (particularly the Interplanetary Age) and more information has been generated for it.

Most likely there was some program of study implemented by some group of modosophonts and transapients working together to figure out the necessary methodologies and technologies to let a human (or other biont) successfully breach a Singularity level.

Todd
The first human ascension likely involved:

1) Gathering a large group of suitable candidates
2) Putting them through an intense, long period of study/memetics to seed their minds with the knowledge and thought processes to be stable transapients
3) Continually augmenting the group, particularly their brains, to make them more intelligent and capable of thinking in ways not possible before
4) Periodically assessing the group and removing candidates that have difficulty/show signs of not adapting to the augments
5) Take the best candidates and upload them into computronium. Continue to augment and expand their minds
6) Finally go ahead with introducing a rapid series of augments and lessons that push the candidates to transapient status.
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
I know most transapients started out as AI. I'm curious which group are more likely to seek an acension: Bionts, or Vecs?
We've historically treated it as just something that some modosophonts do and have never really broken it down by species. Although we do say that a couple of the sephirotic empires (Keter and the Solar Dominion) are particularly 'into' ascension and helping people ascend.

Based on bits and pieces of articles and the general 'tone' of the setting, I'd say we probably lean to Uploads and A-lifes/Virtuals being the groups that are most likely to seen ascension. By pure demographic weight if nothing else. They outnumber the all of the 'corporeal' sophonts in the setting some millions or billions to one.

Todd
Since transapients control civilized space, are the modosophants they rule allowed to fight in wars? I know that the Utopia sphere allows modos to be symbolic warriors, but what about elsewhere in civilized space?
(04-25-2016, 01:23 PM)QwertyYerty Wrote: Since transapients control civilized space, are the modosophants they rule allowed to fight in wars? I know that the Utopia sphere allows modos to be symbolic warriors, but what about elsewhere in civilized space?

Quick correction: the Archailects control civilised space and the transapient community often aides them.

When you say "allowed to fight in wars?" I'm not entirely sure what you mean. If you mean are they allowed to join their empire's armed forces and go off to battle when needed the answer is mostly yes, with some caveats. Non-sophont warbots are vastly better than most modosophonts. For a modo to actually contribute meaningfully they would either have to be assigned a low-risk/priority role or be so radically augmented they basically become a warbot.

If you meant are they allowed to go to war with each other the answer is maybe, but most often not. The archai keep the peace within their spheres of influence so major conflicts are very rare. Having said that they may allow minor, limited skirmishes if they think some good will come out of it (like a longer period of peace). Given that the sephirotics span tens of millions of systems what they class as a "minor skirmish" could be an interstellar total war by our standards.
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
Just curious, since the US presidential elections are coming up (and some European elections), if you could vote for any ascended post- biont (S1 maximum) for a position, who would that be, why, and what government position would you want them to have (elected or not)?

(Sorry if this isn't the right thread to post this, I figured that since this thread has become all about post- bionts and Transapients in general (especially S1s), I figured I'd post something light that fit into that theme. Smile

Your student (and post- biont wanna- be),

Qwerty Yerty
(05-06-2016, 02:48 PM)QwertyYerty Wrote: Just curious, since the US presidential elections are coming up (and some European elections), if you could vote for any ascended post- biont (S1 maximum) for a position, who would that be, why, and what government position would you want them to have (elected or not)?

(Sorry if this isn't the right thread to post this, I figured that since this thread has become all about post- bionts and Transapients in general (especially S1s), I figured I'd post something light that fit into that theme. Smile

Your student (and post- biont wanna- be),

Qwerty Yerty

In the setting, we have there being over ten trillion sophonts of the first toposophic or above - I think that's a bit too much choice for me!
I can't think of any specific one but an entity from the Utopia Sphere would probably be good.
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
What is the transapient's position on Brexit? Big Grin