The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Forbidden Planet (1956)
This has gotten less corny with time and repeated viewings. The Professor's home in the Altair system is a like a demonstration in a post-scarcity living.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer
----------------------

"Everbody's always in favor of saving Hitler's brain, but when you put it in the body of a great white shark, oh, suddenly you've gone too far." -- Professor Farnsworth, Futurama
I've always really liked Forbidden PlanetSmile

I remember the first time I saw it and all the precursors in it to what we later saw in Star Trek and probably other SF as well.

Agreed that some of what it shows could be a demo of a post scarcity lifestyle. Also, a bit of a cautionary tail of not building in proper limits into your thought controlled technology (aka utility fog combined with DNI).

Todd
I had an idea for OA which I called something like Concept Dreaming, where people could fall asleep and dream up new concepts and designs from their subconscious minds. These designs and concepts could then be interpreted in the real world using fabricator technology, among other methods. Then I realised that this is exactly the concept in Forbidden Planet, with added nightmares.
(07-25-2016, 01:20 AM)stevebowers Wrote: I had an idea for OA, which I called something like Concept Dreaming, where people could fall asleep and dream up new concepts and designs from their subconscious minds. These designs and concepts could then be interpreted in the real world using fabricator technology, among other methods. Then I realised that this is exactly the concept in Forbidden Planet, with added nightmares.

Although an OA based system would presumably be mediated by AI or vot systems (both for dream management and fabrication) that would either prevent the nightmare aspect or hold any potential fabrications for conscious approval before creating them - or some combo of both.

Todd
Or the nightmares could be instantiated in a controlled environment, for entertainment purposes. Sometimes a nightmare gets free, due to an accident (unlikely) or a malicious act by a sufficiently advanced entity...
On a related note, Anders had an idea for dream beings that would be conjured up by group minds. A bit like Freddy Kruger - if a group of people in a shared consciousness all dream about the same person, does that person become real?
(07-25-2016, 05:35 AM)stevebowers Wrote: On a related note, Anders had an idea for dream beings that would be conjured up by group minds. A bit like Freddy Kruger - if a group of people in a shared consciousness all dream about the same person, does that person become real?

I would say that has to depend on your definition of "real" and how you want to use it. In some sense, Freddy already exists.
Selden
I would say that a shared nightmare person would only become 'real' if it became 'persistent'; that is to say, the nightmare could form memories and retain them from day to day as an independent entity. If the nightmare retains memories and other characteristics when it appears in several peoples dreams, then it could be considered a separate entity from all of the dreamers. I would expect a group mind to create and share a number of consistent intelligent agents, memory assistants and skill modules; similar agents created by their collective dreaming subconscious minds could be more random and more dangerous.