The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

"Weeding" the Timeline & Early Timeline Contribution Guidelines?
Also, in the interplanetary age timeline:

131 - Ken Ferjik's Manifest Destiny, the first of his mature series extending his earlier simulations into true tools for education and research

134 - Ken Ferjik's Dustbowl, another of his mature series of works

135 - Ken Ferjik's Eagle of the East is the last (and some say the greatest) of his major works.

These should become one entry or deleted.
(10-07-2016, 12:48 AM)Rynn Wrote:
(10-06-2016, 10:33 AM)QwertyYerty Wrote: And this is the Information Age (100 years)

Thanks for posting this, now we're on the same page I feel. Thoughts below, if I've not mentioned an entry it's because I don't have a problem with it.

Hey everyone, it has been a week since Rynn posted his replies to the Information Age timeline.

We got a reply from Drasher1/ Todd on about half of the entries but otherwise no one has posted specific/ individual timeline changes on this thread.

We should start cutting, editing or merging entries that only me and Rynn have posted on over the week on this thread since no one apparently had an issue with Rynn's suggestions. We should leave the events that Drashner1 commented on alone until after we edit the other timeline events, since there seems to be more dicusstion needed on those events.
Also, I included the link to Rynn's post in this quote via the arrow to give everyone a reference.
Here is a URL if it doesn't work.

http://www.orionsarm.com/forum/showthrea...6#pid26846
Thanks for the reminder on this - sometimes the combination of real life and multiple posts on the forum can lead to things slipping off the radar. Smile

Agreed that we should make some final decisions on at least those entries we are in agreement on. I am starting to come up for air at work now (gasp!!!) and should have some extra time in the next week or so to take a shot at this if no one beats me to it.

Regarding the multiple entries on Ken Ferjik:

Although most or all of them are mentioned in the EG article on Ken Ferjik in the text, they don't really give a time-line feel.

I'd like to suggest that we both remove them from the main timeline and generate a mini-timeline for them on the Ken Ferjik EG page similar to what we have on the Mars page.

This might be an approach to handling other connected or related historical events (or sub-events) that don't seem to fit on the main timeline or fall more under the umbrella of some larger topic - have a general entry about the topic on the main timeline (e.g., 'Ken Ferjik is born' OR 'Ken Ferjik produces the first of his many seminal works,' or somesuch) with a link to the specific EG page. Place a mini-timeline that is specific to that item on the actual EG page.

In this fashion, the timeline still acts to record Terragen history, but in many instances becomes a gateway to more detailed information on other pages rather than trying to put everything on a single timeline, no matter its size or importance to the history of the setting.

Thoughts?

Todd
Good idea.
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
(10-15-2016, 09:07 AM)Drashner1 Wrote: Place a mini-timeline that is specific to that item on the actual EG page.

In this fashion, the timeline still acts to record Terragen history, but in many instances becomes a gateway to more detailed information on other pages rather than trying to put everything on a single timeline, no matter its size or importance to the history of the setting.

Thoughts?

Todd

Good idea. Big Grin
(10-15-2016, 09:07 AM)Drashner1 Wrote: Thanks for the reminder on this - sometimes the combination of real life and multiple posts on the forum can lead to things slipping off the radar. Smile

Agreed that we should make some final decisions on at least those entries we are in agreement on. I am starting to come up for air at work now (gasp!!!) and should have some extra time in the next week or so to take a shot at this if no one beats me to it.

Regarding the multiple entries on Ken Ferjik:

Although most or all of them are mentioned in the EG article on Ken Ferjik in the text, they don't really give a time-line feel.

I'd like to suggest that we both remove them from the main timeline and generate a mini-timeline for them on the Ken Ferjik EG page similar to what we have on the Mars page.

This might be an approach to handling other connected or related historical events (or sub-events) that don't seem to fit on the main timeline or fall more under the umbrella of some larger topic - have a general entry about the topic on the main timeline (e.g., 'Ken Ferjik is born' OR 'Ken Ferjik produces the first of his many seminal works,' or somesuch) with a link to the specific EG page. Place a mini-timeline that is specific to that item on the actual EG page.

Thoughts?

Todd

Maybe we should move those timeline events I moved earlier to a temporary timeline where is will be split up into the smaller timelines as we find places to put the events.
(10-15-2016, 03:18 PM)QwertyYerty Wrote: Maybe we should move those timeline events I moved earlier to a temporary timeline where is will be split up into the smaller timelines as we find places to put the events.

I don't really see that as necessary. There's no real hurry on this and generating another timeline as 'temporary storage' is more work than its worth. It would take almost as much time to do that as it would to just move the entries into a timeline on the relevant article page to begin with.

I'll have some extra time coming up, possibly even this weekend and may start working on setting up the Ken Ferjik mini-timeline then. We can use that as a test bed for seeing how this idea works and then decide if we want to go forward with it for other similar items.

As far as the other items that have been discussed - if the consensus that has developed is that some should be removed, I may take care of that as well.

Will post my progress to this thread as I make it.

Todd
(10-16-2016, 07:13 AM)Drashner1 Wrote:
(10-15-2016, 03:18 PM)QwertyYerty Wrote: Maybe we should move those timeline events I moved earlier to a temporary timeline where is will be split up into the smaller timelines as we find places to put the events.

I don't really see that as necessary. There's no real hurry on this and generating another timeline as 'temporary storage' is more work than its worth. It would take almost as much time to do that as it would to just move the entries into a timeline on the relevant article page to begin with.

I'll have some extra time coming up, possibly even this weekend and may start working on setting up the Ken Ferjik mini-timeline then. We can use that as a test bed for seeing how this idea works and then decide if we want to go forward with it for other similar items.

As far as the other items that have been discussed - if the consensus that has developed is that some should be removed, I may take care of that as well.

Will post my progress to this thread as I make it.

Todd

Ok, that makes sense. As you add the timelines on their respective articles, you are going to want to condense multiple events that share the same article into one event. That event can be hyperlinked to the article so we can make the timeline very detailed without clutter.