The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

"Weeding" the Timeline & Early Timeline Contribution Guidelines?
(10-16-2016, 07:50 AM)QwertyYerty Wrote: Ok, that makes sense. As you add the timelines on their respective articles, you are going to want to condense multiple events that share the same article into one event. That event can be hyperlinked to the article so we can make the timeline very detailed without clutter.

Yes, I'm aware of what's involved in making the change, thank you.
I've updated the Ken Ferjik article to include the mini-timeline of his various works.

Please look it over and provide feedback. Once this is finalized, I can remove most of the Ferjik related entries from the timeline.

Thanks!

Todd
(10-17-2016, 08:28 AM)Drashner1 Wrote: I've updated the Ken Ferjik article to include the mini-timeline of his various works.

Please look it over and provide feedback. Once this is finalized, I can remove most of the Ferjik related entries from the timeline.

Thanks!

Todd

The article looks great!

Good work.
Good work Todd Smile
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
I've updated the timeline (Information and Interplanetary Ages) to remove all but the first reference to Ken Ferjik. I've expanded that first entry slightly to create a bit of a preview to the main article and the mini-timeline within it.

Will take a closer look at the other entries that have been discussed on this thread a remove any that have a clear consensus for that when I get another block of free time. In the meantime, please feel free to continue the discussion on any remaining items that have still not been resolved or new items that might be potentially removed or consolidated into mini-timelines as well.

Thanks!

Todd
Another series to put into a mini timeline.

Academion

61 - Despite intense protests from proponents of independent academia, the EU Parliament decides on a "unified and quality controlled" university standard. The brain drain to the US and emerging academic free states like Peru and New Zealand intensifies.

63 - Academion Island founded by Aristos, a front company of various European universities

With others.
Here are the others.

173 - The Academion Free Habitat, an orbital colony is established by scholars and humanists as a utopian educational society.

189 - Academion degenerates into internal quarrels.

198 - Budget cuts, nagging technical glitches, and changing policies, cause the EF to sell EF-1 to an international educational consortium, Socrates Enterprises, who rename it Academion.
(10-19-2016, 12:49 PM)Drashner1 Wrote: I've updated the timeline (Information and Interplanetary Ages) to remove all but the first reference to Ken Ferjik. I've expanded that first entry slightly to create a bit of a preview to the main article and the mini-timeline within it.

Will take a closer look at the other entries that have been discussed on this thread a remove any that have a clear consensus for that when I get another block of free time. In the meantime, please feel free to continue the discussion on any remaining items that have still not been resolved or new items that might be potentially removed or consolidated into mini-timelines as well.

Thanks!

Todd

I would start with deleting these entries that Rynn discussed below.

Quote:65 - Nanoscale technology in widespread use for the manufacture of electronic equipment and other commodities; biotech continues to play an important role in the development of many poorer counties, despite political difficulties

65 - Genomic benefits result in significant extensions to life expectancies for newborns

65 - Computer power equivalent to human brain is available at consumer level prices, but suitable software lags behind. True sentient AI does not yet exist.

I think all three of these can be removed. The second two violate canon and the first is quite vague.
Just an update:

I've gone through the Information Age and removed a number of entries for which there was a consensus (at least Rynn and I agreed, and no one else disagreed). Too many items to list here, but if you go through the time period and compare against the posts by Rynn and I on the matter you should see the changes.

I've left the items for which there was not a consensus on the theory that we can discuss in more depth to reach a consensus on them.

I'll go through and set up the additional mini-timelines that have been discussed when I get another block of free time.

Thanks!

Todd
I've generated the mini-timeline for Academion.

If this is good to go, I'll remove the dates from the timeline.

Thanks!

Todd