The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Creating a Page of Author Resources and a 'Writer's Bible'
So, this is another element that came out of the thread on what we might do different if we could start OA over from scratch.

One of the long running issues we've had is that we don't get as many stories written in the OA universe as we would like. There were various ideas on how we might address this issue and I'm hoping/planning to delve into all of them. That said, due to time constraints and various projects I'm wanting to get done both this year and next, I'm thinking that some of these ideas will be better addressed next year - but some of them are either 'low hanging fruit' that we might at get done this year (or at least get a good start on) or things that we could probably start collecting thoughts and ideas on in anticipation of a more formal push in 2017.

With that in mind, I'm hoping to get input from folks on two different ideas:

1) OA has quite a large 'library' of links to worldbuilding resources and websites. I would like to try to create a similar library of author and writing resources. In the course of my travels I've come across links to articles about creating characters, handling dialogue, etc. Some are focused on SF specifically, some are more general.

So - with this in mind, what ideas (and/or links) do people have for building a library or resource base for would be SF authors (who will hopefully than turn around and write some stories in our universeBig Grin).

2) This is a little more long term, but also something I think would be helpful in encouraging more people to write stories set in OA: A 'Writer's Guide' or maybe a 'Writer's Primer'.

The idea here is sort of a 'source of all truth' for the OA setting that is geared toward authors and would help them as they look to put together a story in the setting. Some ideas that I've had so far...

How to manage the technological diversity and scope of the setting.

How to handle transapients in the setting.

Common RL activities and how they might work in the setting.

Common mistakes when trying to write in OA and how to avoid them

Etc.

I'm sure other people here could suggest additional ideas. I'd also be especially interested to hear from those members who are writers, both for ideas for 'chapters' or subjects to cover in a Writer's Guide and any elements of the OA setting that you find make it harder for your to write here.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and ideas you can provide.

ToddSmile
Definitely think this is a good idea. Will have a think about the best way to structure it.
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
(08-11-2016, 11:27 AM)Drashner1 Wrote: I'm sure other people here could suggest additional ideas. I'd also be especially interested to hear from those members who are writers, both for ideas for 'chapters' or subjects to cover in a Writer's Guide and any elements of the OA setting that you find make it harder for your to write here.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and ideas you can provide.

ToddSmile

I think these are great ideas. One of the reasons i think OA is difficult to aproach is the amount of neologisms and words coined in OA setting.
Another is that all the setting seems made with a multidisciplinar effort, and this add complexity to the setting when a writer has to remember facts of a wide array of sources (star types, tech, bio, psychology, philosophy, and so on) to write a story.

Also "how to manage diversity and scope", "handle transapients", "Common RL activities", and "common mistakes and how to avoid them" looks great for helping writers.
Common mistakes reminds me other posible sections: "what OA is" and "what OA Not is" that are related with Cannon.

Greetings. Avengium.
All good points and suggestionsSmile

I've got various irons in the fire I'm wanting to get done this year, but am planning to spend 2017 doing a number of projects relating to the structure and content of the OA website, including these two items (author resources and writer's bible/guide).

If you additional ideas along these lines, please keep posting them here. Once I start working on them (I'm not sure in what order, or if I may do several things at once in some cases), I'll definitely be working with the forum for ideas/feedback/etc.

Hm. The complexity issue intrigues me - I wonder if there would be ways to retain this element (which I think is a positive of the setting), while also making it significantly simpler/easier for people to get a handle on it. Or work around/through it in some fashion. Hmmm.

ToddSmile
I've thought that a step-by-step guide to making new worlds might be useful. Many of the tools I use are already on the site, in the Worldbuilding Links page; but the new Colonisation map pages should help as well. Eventually a contributor would be able to choose a date then select a location on the map that is consistent with the colonisation history of that world.