The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Long time Lurker, now posting a bit
Been reading OA since the early 2000's and finally made an account a couple years ago.  Now I'm looking forward to hopefully contributing. 

I did have one question.   In the article, Limits of Transapient Power there was this entry 

Quote:5) Violating known physical laws. This is a broad category. No transapient, not even the most powerful, is capable of exceeding light speed, violating conservation of mass and energy, travelling backwards in time, and so on. Note that it is possible for them to produce effects which appear to have violated such laws, but close investigation has always shown this not to be so. Note that in many cases they have found extensions of earlier understandings, just as Einstein extended classical physics without contradicting it, or have discovered entirely new realms of physical action, as with quantum mechanics in the late 1st century BT (20th century AD). They have also discovered new laws that are fundamental to this universe and which may not be violated by any being of any of the known toposophic levels.

Now my question is this one. 

Have any of the Archai managed to manipulate spacetime in a way that have manipulated the effects of fundamental forces on a given volume of the universe.   

My thoughts were on the Weakless Universe and whether it would be possible to heat a given volume of Terragen space up to TOE levels of heat and density and precipitate it out as a volume with slightly different laws.  

wiki blurb on it 
Quote:There are various models that address the hierarchy problem in a dynamical and natural way, for example, supersymmetrytechnicolorwarped extra dimensions, etc. An alternative approach to explaining the hierarchy problem is to invoke the anthropic principle. Within this approach one assumes that there are many other patches of the Universe (or Multiverse) in which physics is very different. In particular one can assume that the "landscape" of universes contains ones where the weak force has a different strength compared to our own. In such a scenario observers would presumably evolve wherever they can. If the observed strength of the weak force is then vital for the emergence of observers, this would explain why the weak force is indeed observed with this strength. It was argued by Barr and others that if one only allows the electroweak symmetry breaking scale to vary between universes, keeping all other parameters fixed, atomic physics would change in ways that would not allow life as we know it. Anthropic arguments have recently been boosted by the realization that string theory has many solutions, or vacua, dubbed the string landscape, and by Steven Weinberg's prediction of the cosmological constant by anthropic reasoning.

Mainly because once you do that the numbers and combinations of exotic hadrons gets REALLY interesting.    Like up to few hundred periodic tables interesting and ultraheavy elements being stable interesting.
Thanks in advance.
Hi! Welcome to OA!
Personally I'd like to think that the Archai can create universes to order, when making their baby/basement universes; but when we asked Adam (Getchell) about this, he indicated that it is is more likely that any child universe would resemble the parent universe quite closely. This probably allows a bit of leeway, but not much. I seem to remember that some people such as Lee Smolin have suggested that there is a process of evolution involved in universe generation, so that new universes which are slightly different can spawn newer universes which are even more different, and so on.

But this idea is highly speculative, and is likely to remain so until we can start making our own baby universes (a process which might, in reall-life, be highly dangerous).
Hi and have fun.
Evidence separates truth from fiction.
Interesting question!

The archai are strongly rumored/known to be able to create both artificial universes (Tipler Oracles) and to be able to manipulate the dimensionality of space-time (Implosion Weapons). And make Wormholes, of course. They are also rumored to either be able to access other universes or the bulk 'between' universes or to be making attempts to do so.

Given these kind of abilities and the sort of energies that the archai can field along with their ability to create stuff as durable as Magmatter - I wouldn't be surprised if they can hit TOE energies or close to them.

A trickier set of questions are:

a) Whether or not they can control the results of such a process.

b) How easy/hard it is for them to repeat it.

c) Whether or not the results of such a thing would remain in this universe or be created in some new universe that expands at right angles to our own or the like.

d) Whether or not the results of such a thing would be stable in this universe.

e) Whether or not the results of such a thing would have uses and applications we can predict or imagine (this more of an editorial issue from our perspective).

Speaking of editorial things - we might address this as a rumored ability of the archai, with the results also being rumored in a general way (assuming we can't make any RL predictions about what sort of things could result from such technology). Of course, if RL science can make some predictions or hypotheses around this area, that could change our approach.

Hope this helps,

Todd
So I've been doing some reading and a lot of thinking actually.   
And this part specifically got me thinking.  

Violation of known physical laws

Quote:, and so on. Note that it is possible for them to produce effects which appear to have violated such laws, but close investigation has always shown this not to be so.

I am seeing what look like physical law violations in the tech on some of the articles but there is a touch of handwavium in it.  
At the same time I would like to propose some mechanisms on how these things might actually work.  (And obviously offer it for peer review) 
  • Void Bubbles.    Has anyone actually managed to describe HOW they work because I think I have a solution that actually works in terms of describing them.   
  • Disintegrators - EG article that doesn't actually describe HOW they work.  I think  I have a mechanism for that as well.   

Physics people please feel free to pick this apart / comment.  Feedback is appreciated.   

Void Bubble

Void bubbles actually work by creating a region of spacetime with a BORDER for gravity.   
External gravity does not influence what is inside; what is inside does not influence the outside material universe.  Effectively making asymptotically flat spacetime inside the bubble also has the effect of making it almost inertialess and massless.   

Perfectly flat spacetime inside the void bubble would render it massless and inertialess. 
[and as a byproduct kill everyone inside that depended on electronic transmissions for nerve impulses] 

This allows a manipulation of the external side of the void bubble to accelerate at fantastic levels because the energy and manipulation of the metric only has asymptotically small amounts of mass and inertia to overcome.   By putting a faint electrical charge to the void bubble; it becomes a fairly trivial matter to accelerate a proton's mass to 99.99999% the speed of light in a cyclotron.   

In addition to a void bubble, this also has other applications that I can go into as questions come up.   

If an archai can effectively create near-flat spacetime inside a bubble then ey would also be able to create asymptotically infinitely curved spacetime as well.    
[Alternate mechanism to explain this:   Implosion Weapon ]

Disintegrator Weapon

Effectively work by creating a small region of spacetime at the target point inside which electromagnetic and/or strong nuclear forces cease to operate.    [A border for these two forces] 

Turning off the strong nuclear force causes subatomic particles to completely fall apart into their component quarks.   When the field deactivates, color confinenment  comes back into play and spontaneously reassembles the free quarks into new baryons, mesons ( pions ).    This reaction can be slightly energetic 

Turning off the EM force causes matter to fall apart at the subatomic level.   Nuclei and electrons all will completely come apart inside the sphere as there is nothing binding them together.   Atomic nuclei will remain together due to the strong nuclear force.  Upon suspension  of the field the EM force begins to ruthless apply itself to the now very highly ionized matter.   

Coagulator weapon system doesn't completely shutdown the EM force inside the area of effect but it does lessen it enough to break some electron - nuclei bonds.  

Turning off the weak nuclear force has other effects which would include prevention of nuclear beta decay and certain pathways of fusion (p-p and CNO chain for example).  
Potential applications:   
  • Nuclear Inhibitors [stops a nuclear explosion] 
  • Safe handling of nuclear material by unshielded bionts
  • Exotic chemistry with ultraheavy elements [ Elements with Z number 95 and up become stable] 
  • Ultraheavy element creation and manipulation for experiments [potentially infinite Z Number] 
  • Extremely exotic chemistry using Gen II / Gen III fermions
  • Combining above with magmatter for even more exotic structures.

Turning off the field while some of this exotic stuff is around would also be fairly energetic.   

These effects are not breaking the laws of physics just influencing the level of interactions of the fundamental forces on spacetime itself.   

Got the idea from here.   A Universe Without Weak Interactions

Thoughts?
Void bubbles are basically a form of Alcubierre warp drive. So, the basics of how they work is bound up in Relativity Theory and such. For more on this see the page on Reactionless Drives, which includes both some math and also a list of real world references (with a lot more math). Two of the members who helped write the article are practicing physicists, so I'm inclined to think they know their stuff.

Regarding issues of inertia and gravity and such:

Void bubbles are a region of warped space-time - their interior is 'at rest' within its reference frame and the bubble 'moves' by configuring itself in a way that causes space-time to contract/vanish 'in front' of it and expand/inflate/appear 'behind' it. This means that when a bubble 'moves' it is not actually moving at all, it only looks that way from our perspective. The bubble doesn't actually accelerate/decelerate/change direction in the conventional sense. As a result of the interior of the bubble being 'at rest' as defined by relativity, and the fact that the bubble isn't 'moving' in the conventional sense, issues of inertia or feeling acceleration forces simply don't apply. The downside of this is that things like time dilation also don't apply.

Gravity and magnetic fields (And EM in general) can pass through the boundary of a warp bubble and form the basis for the technology of Halo Drives and Black Angels.

The upshot of all this is that how void bubbles work is already explained (as much as we can at this point anyway) within real world physics and theory. We even have references that provide the theoretical underpinnings for how they work.

The disintegrator entry is very very old and could certainly do with a remodel or possibly just being removed outright. Clarketech objects tend to straddle the boundary between plausible and pure handwavium, which was more popular earlier in the projects history.

I suppose the first thing we should do is decide whether or not we want to keep the idea in the first place and then give some thought to how it might work.

My 2c worth,

Todd