The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

We are Legion (We are Bob)
Anybody read this?
We are Legion (We are Bob)

A friend of mine - a serious Star Trek fanboy nerd - keeps suggesting this to me. I was wondering if I could get a second opinion and have anyone else can recommend it.
Hmm; I haven't read We are Legion,
but Larry Niven wrote a story (or two) along those lines
A World out of Time - set in the same universe as the Smoke Ring stories.

It looks like the Bobiverse has a lot of other interesting things going on, not least multiple copying on an OA scale.
I've listened to the audiobook at the recommendation of my girlfriend. No spoilers beyond the blurb; Bob is a stereotypical tech nerd that wouldn't be out of place on a site like this, aside from ticking every box a bit too perfectly. He's the type of person with insurance that means his body will be frozen upon death. Then he has an accident and wakes up uploaded in a centuries time, now the property of the state who want to use him as the governing intelligence of an interstellar Neumann probe. Events continue and the bulk of the story is told out in interstellar space, flicking between different instances of Bob as they get created.

It's a pretty popular story, IMO because it's an easy, accessible read to the typical transhumanist ideas that have been floating around for decade. I think whether or not one likes it will come down to whether or not one likes Bob, because for much of the story Bob (and the multiple forks of him) is the only character. The book is also jam packed with Sci Fi and pop culture references (not any recent ones though). Expect a lot of mentions of Star Trek, the Simpsons and a tonne of other old TV.
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
So, Anders Sandberg then? Smile
Seriously, doesn't something very similar to this happen to him in OA Canon?

My lifelong goal: To add "near" to my "baseline" classification.

Lucid dreaming: Because who says baseline computronium can't run virches?
(06-26-2017, 08:20 AM)Alphadon Wrote: So, Anders Sandberg then? Smile
Seriously, doesn't something very similar to this happen to him in OA Canon?

Huh?  Huh
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
Apparently, a personality simm gets made and put on a probe. It later transcends.

(07-03-2017, 12:20 AM)Alphadon Wrote: Apparently,  a personality simm gets made and put on a probe. It later transcends.

There are at least a couple of EG articles about that kind of thing happening, and probably more I'm not remembering right now.

There is the Far Edge Civilization and also the "_____" (link) - but neither of them is directly connected to Anders AFAIK.

If there's a specific article you're referencing, can you please provide a link?

Thanks!

Todd
This fossil right here.
Personally, I don't think it makes much sense.
Incidentally, would that article happen to have been published on Sandberg's birthday?

Anders was born on 11 July 1972, according to Wikipedia.

Radtech497
"I'd much rather see you on my side, than scattered into... atoms." Ming the Merciless, Ruler of the Universe
(07-04-2017, 07:10 AM)Alphadon Wrote: This fossil right here.
Personally, I don't think it makes much sense.
Incidentally, would that article happen to have been published on Sandberg's birthday?

What specifically doesn't make sense to you?

Todd