The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Giving the EG a Bit of a Remodel
(04-19-2018, 12:20 PM)JohnnyYesterday Wrote: Would the content of the Prim-to-High tech EGs be compiled together into Modotech?

I'd hate to lose them, because although most of OA is hyper-futuristic in the tech-department, there are throwbacks for various reasons. Heck, in 1st World RL, with mid-Middletech the norm, there's still technology around that would be familiar to a citizen of the Roman or Han Empires.

That's the plan, yes. More specifically, those articles that describe actual technology will be compiled together under a new Modotech topic. Articles that describe other non-technological things that are Prim-to-High tech (e.g. Retroism) will be shifted to link to other Topics (such as Prim Tech Societies, for example).

I don't plan to eliminate any major articles, although I agree with Avengium that there are a number of very short minor articles that should probably be eliminated. The specifics of those will likely be a thread and set of discussions in their own right, when the time comes.

Hope this helps,

Todd
Just to add to the To Do list:

The EG currently includes a whole batch of tiny related articles around Extropy, Extropism, etc. that could probably all be combined together into a single article.
We also have a bunch of one line articles about specific government types/ideologies that are mostly about present day ideologies, and in many cases are riddled with bias (such as the libertarian page that mentions libertarian AIs leading modos to a glorious future, the communist page that doesn't at all mention statelessness, classlessness or moneylessness and the types of government page that has a plethora of non-linked short definitions).

I suggest removing anything that doesn't a) have it's own article, b) is just a stub and c) isn't strongly referenced anywhere else in the EG.

Incidentally I've edited out the line about glorious libertarian future. If anyone thinks that change should be reverted we can talk about it, but it's hard to see why we should have it.
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
(05-09-2018, 04:32 AM)Rynn Wrote: We also have a bunch of one line articles about specific government types/ideologies that are mostly about present day ideologies, and in many cases are riddled with bias (such as the libertarian page that mentions libertarian AIs leading modos to a glorious future, the communist page that doesn't at all mention statelessness, classlessness or moneylessness and the types of government page that has a plethora of non-linked short definitions).

I suggest removing anything that doesn't a) have it's own article, b) is just a stub and c) isn't strongly referenced anywhere else in the EG.

Incidentally I've edited out the line about glorious libertarian future. If anyone thinks that change should be reverted we can talk about it, but it's hard to see why we should have it.

Agreed 100%.
I agree with Rynn too. I think the options are gathering all that articles on a glossary, that will still need revision, or delete that microarticles that don't match with the requirements.
Agreed on general principles re the short little government articles.

Note also that we have an entire Topic page about types of government that many of these could be folded into.

That said, I could have sworn that Rynn had done an article a while back about types of government. Which should also be folded into the mix if we are looking to boil all this down to a single source of truth. Assuming that this memory is accurate, could someone point me at it please? I haven't been able to find it so far, and I'm a bit pressed for time atm.

Thanks!

Todd
Thinking of short articles and options for dealing with them got me thinking about the OA Glossary.

Currently, we have it set up to display in the article listings for a number of different pages in the EG. Due to the automatic alphabetical arrangement function of the EG, this means that the Glossary usually appears somewhere down in the middle of whatever article list it is in.

I would like to make the Glossary more prominent and more consistent in its placement. With that in mind, some ideas that I started kicking around today as possible options. In no particular order:

a) Adjust the title to something like AAA-Glossary so the alphabetical function automatically places it in front of nearly all the other articles listed under each Topic. The key bit here might be the 'nearly' part since numbers or some symbols seem to auto-organize ahead of letters. But we might then use numbers (000-Glossary) or some combination of symbols (TBD-Glossary) to make this happen.

b) Place the Glossary as a link in some consistent and specific spot in the opening text of each Topic.

c) Place the Glossary in either the Design Notes or Additional Information section of each Topic page.

d) Something else I haven't thought of yet.

I'd also like to combine the main Glossary and Primer Glossary into a single thing so we don't have duplicate information floating around, but that's a different issue.

Anyway, of the options listed above, which do folks prefer? And if you have an alternative idea I haven't thought of yet (Option d), please shareSmile

Thanks!

Todd
Aw Jeez

within the cryptotechnology thread, these 3 articles were not combined.

Cryptotechology
http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/464631b51b1a8
Cryptotech
http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/4eab6f5dc6579
Cryptotechnology
http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/46463127ad98c

Sorry Todd, I forgot to message you with the image.  Blush
Ever make mistakes in life? Let's make them birds. Yeah, they're birds now.

~ Bob Ross

No worriesSmile

I'm trying out making Tuesday nights my 'do EG editing stuff' night. I've got a bit of leftover stuff from yesterday that I'm going to aim to do tonight and may work in these articles as well if I'm feeling extra energetic. Otherwise I'll plan to deal with this on Tuesday.

Thanks!

Todd
(05-10-2018, 03:00 AM)Drashner1 Wrote: Thinking of short articles and options for dealing with them got me thinking about the OA Glossary.

Currently, we have it set up to display in the article listings for a number of different pages in the EG. Due to the automatic alphabetical arrangement function of the EG, this means that the Glossary usually appears somewhere down in the middle of whatever article list it is in.

I would like to make the Glossary more prominent and more consistent in its placement. With that in mind, some ideas that I started kicking around today as possible options. In no particular order:

a) Adjust the title to something like AAA-Glossary so the alphabetical function automatically places it in front of nearly all the other articles listed under each Topic. The key bit here might be the 'nearly' part since numbers or some symbols seem to auto-organize ahead of letters. But we might then use numbers (000-Glossary) or some combination of symbols (TBD-Glossary) to make this happen.

b) Place the Glossary as a link in some consistent and specific spot in the opening text of each Topic.

c) Place the Glossary in either the Design Notes or Additional Information section of each Topic page.

d) Something else I haven't thought of yet.

I'd also like to combine the main Glossary and Primer Glossary into a single thing so we don't have duplicate information floating around, but that's a different issue.

Anyway, of the options listed above, which do folks prefer? And if you have an alternative idea I haven't thought of yet (Option d), please shareSmile

Thanks!

Todd

IMO, I prefer option C. Strongly dislike option A.