The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Suggestion - Modosophont Illustration Page
So, the recent discussion on modosophont capabilities got me thinking...

One way to better illustrate modosophont abilities and general differences from RL humans might be to take a more illustrative approach.

Perhaps a simple drawing (even just an outline) of a male and female nearbaseline with different parts of their bodies highlighted with call outs describing the added abilities or augmentations an 'average' neb in the setting has.

So a call out might point to the woman's head and have a brief mention of DNI implants with a link to the article on that. Another might point to the man's groin and mention that nebs have been gengineered to have total control of their fertility. And so on and so forth.

There would probably not be enough room to touch on every single augment and gengineered bit, but we could lay out the 'top X' and then have links to all the articles on augments and gengineered bits and such on the same page somewhere. This would put all the articles on the same general subject (nearbaseline improvements and augment tech) in one place for quick reference. Note that this wouldn't mean moving all the articles away from their current locations, just adding links to a new place for quicker reference.

Thoughts?

Todd
(07-30-2013, 12:27 PM)Drashner1 Wrote: Perhaps a simple drawing (even just an outline) of a male and female nearbaseline with different parts of their bodies highlighted with call outs describing the added abilities or augmentations an 'average' neb in the setting has.
So a call
Thoughts?

Todd

Similar to this, Natasha Vita Moore's Primo Posthuman.

That sounds good, but I think it's important to make a few differences...

First of all, I'd say that there should be between 4-6 options in respect to gender in OA, if that is something that is shown.
There's so many different augmentations, multiple diagrams might be necessary anyway.

Technically, i'm going to guess that augmentations would actually vary widely across cultures. For simplicity's sake, however, sure. It might be better to show just one body and say that it's representative from some particular location. this diagram(s) could be covered in the 'sophont encyclopedia' eventually.

[quote='Dfleymmes1134' pid='1658' dateline='1375160257']
[quote='Drashner1' pid='1651' dateline='1375151223']

Perhaps a simple drawing (even just an outline) of a male and female nearbaseline with different parts of their bodies highlighted with call outs describing the added abilities or augmentations an 'average' neb in the setting has.
So a call

Something like this? I had some vector drawings that can be easily modified, so it shouldn't be hard to show many variations.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Something like this could workSmile I'm of two minds about the nudity. It's accurate and fits with the different genders described in the setting, but may run afoul of our 'PG' rating. Or not. Something to discuss, certainly.

We'd need to compile a list of the various augments and gengineered enhancements nebs in the setting would have and figure out how which to display. The use of 5 different figures would expand the number of gadgets we could highlight. We might also want to consider some of the common gadgets that modosophonts might wear or carry in the setting. Or what cyborgs have within them. Although that might be a different page or two. Hmm.

Todd
It's quite honestly a matter of copy and paste, then a color change and a shift of features in Adobe Illustrator, so the number of nearbaselines that can be used is pretty much as many as needed. 20 is perfectly reasonable.
-underwear takes 30 seconds to draw, so complete nudity can be covered.
-i'm guessing most of the modifications can be combined with almost any one of one another.
-the line between a tweak, a cyborg, and a nearbaseline can be blurry.

Features/ Modifications that won't be seen:

-adapt eyes to see in a variety of spectrums
-nano-immune system (how many kinds?)
-enhanced smell (different nose shape?)
-enhanced hearing
-gene therapies for....better oxygen use? better muscles?
-a variety of intelligence augmentations (genetic, etc)

Features that will be seen

-height (increased and decreased)
-color-changing skin/ chromataphores
-skin color changed to..any color?
-artificial limbs (how many possibilities?)
-interactive tatoos
-increased body hair
-DNI implants
-change gender
-change genitals

All sounds reasonable (and the illustration here is very niceSmile). Let me run it up the flagpole with the Board and see what they say.

Sorry for the delay on this. Lots going on in various places, both OA and elsewhere.

Todd
I'm somewhat in favour of showing the figures with some clothes on, especially since at least some modo's will likely be tweaked/augmented in that area - we don't want to frighten the horses, so to speak.
Hmm. 20 versions (or no more than 20) would give us lots of room to play, not just with genders, but also some of the most common tweaks, cyborgs, bodymods, etc. if that works for you Arik?

I'll see about starting to pull together a list of augments and other fun things for us to consider for this. Any suggestions are most welcome, for augments, genemods, personal gadgets, etc.

Todd
(08-08-2013, 12:25 PM)Drashner1 Wrote: I'll see about starting to pull together a list of augments and other fun things for us to consider for this. Any suggestions are most welcome, for augments, genemods, personal gadgets, etc.

Todd

A few thoughts:
*less tangible 'innovations' and 'technologies' like better-desiged languages, learning techniques, eating habits, life practices,or 'healthier' cultures/ memetic technologies are not pictured or noted.
-from what I understand of the setting, clades are not necessarily distinct, so that terms like cyborg, superior, or tweak could all apply to one individual (whatever that may mean).
-I'm each individual a name, a clade, and a gender, as a general category. There could be more categories for each one, like age, nationality, religion, occupation or other considerations, but for simplicities sake (though I do not want to simplify these individuals too much) I only have three categories. These diagrams are focused on the physical aspects and augmentations anyway. Personality and other 'intangibles' are later possible considerations.

Any augmentation that is genetic or generally unseen feature is very easy to add, because it will only need to be represented by a callout.

Accessories
..from what have i got in my pocketses thread
* Minibots
* Genesticks
* Synsects
*[url=http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/48645ef39c645
] Nanoflex [/url]
*Pocket Nanoforge
*Direct Neural interface
-allows contact with the known net, Virtual reality, local Mind(s), techno-leptathy, translation abilities,
*many varieties of drone technology
*jewelry or clothing that acts as a personal assistant.
*reality authenticator
*Personal Swarms, and devices or implants to control them
*drug stick
*'invisibility cloak' (in the visible spectrum) for fashion purposes. (very easy to draw Smile
*smart-device with a screen for showing maps, known net interfaces, simple games...a more advanced smartphone (not everyone wants one in their body).
*'keys' for personal identification

Augmentations
*interactive (sometimes glowing) tattoos form part of a direct neural interface, or other kind of interface.
*mind backup implants
*nanobone
*medical nanoimmune system
*diseases and genetic disorders (whatever that could mean) screened in the womb
*self-repairing, color and texture altering clothing.
*augmented pituitary gland for secreting hormones in a more controlled manner
*Heightened/augmented senses
-sight across UV, 'visible', infrared, microwave parts of the spectrum. Adjustable night vision, focus, depth of field, .
-telescopic and microscopic vision
-more accurate hearing across more ranges of frequency,
-sonar
-increased or decreased sensitivity to touch
-smell and taste expanded and strengthened.
-better proprioception, added Magentoception: (the ability to detect magnetic fields), Equilibrioception (allows you to sense balance, acceleration, gravity), etc.

*pharmaceutically changed gender
*skin color altered
*dyed hair
*Chromataphores in skin allow supreme, localized control over skin colors
*life periodic extension treatments
*cybernetic muscles and artificial body frame for increased strength.

*Intelligence
-increased (or decreased) analytical, spatial reasoning, empathy, processing speed, executive functioning, memory, sensory processing, etc.
-AI helper implant
-extra 'computronium'/ processing space added elsewhere in the body.
I'll be away for a few weeks- but here's some samples.