The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Wikipedia's Tranquility Calendar article up for deletion
At https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:...y_Calendar , the Wikipedia article about the Tranquility Calendar is being proposed to be deleted, due to a lack of notability (as shown in a  lack of reliable third-party sources).

I'm afraid that I'm insufficiently well-versed in Wikipedia's procedures to do much more than I have; but if anyone here knows how and wants to keep the TC article up, now's your chance.
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat
"Does aₘᵢₙ=2c²/Θ ? I don't know, but wouldn't it be fascinating if it were?"

I think one problem with keeping this up on Wikipedia is that there are arguably more important events that could be used as a calendar basis. Such as the Trinity test, for example.

In any event, this seems to be further evidence of a Luddite, leftist streak in Wikipedia. A good example would be the removal from Wikipedia of any evidence that a fairly well-known satirical site exists; The People's Cube.

http://thepeoplescube.com/
I'm not sure what Luddism and leftism have to do with each other, but I've never been much of a fan of Wikipedia's notions about 'notability'. It seems like a rather subjective and arbitrary standard that largely lets them do as they please while not actually have to admit that they are just doing whatever they please.

Ah well.

Todd
We can still try to save the wikipedia article working on it and giving it some more references.
(10-06-2019, 09:40 AM)Drashner1 Wrote: I'm not sure what Luddism and leftism have to do with each other, but I've never been much of a fan of Wikipedia's notions about 'notability'. It seems like a rather subjective and arbitrary standard that largely lets them do as they please while not actually have to admit that they are just doing whatever they please.

Ah well.

Todd

I don't want to start a political argument, but it appears to me from reading/watching the news that Leftists in the shape of the trade unions always resist any attempt to introduce further automation into industry - or at least often insist that a company keeps on employees doing nothing and drawing a wage, while the robots do the work.
Automation and jobs and a possible job crisis due to massive automations of jobs has nothing to do with editing the wikipedia article so a mod from there don't delete the article.

If i was on a computer i would edit the article myself, but i'm on phone.
I've read that article, although it's been awhile. That's where I learned it apparently wasn't created out of whole cloth.

Personally, I like the alphabetic month naming scheme, and would hold that as more important than balancing the genders of the names (especially when, in the current era, gender is more or less a construct, and there are at least five of them), but I think leap day should be plugged in between two months, rather than stuck in the middle of one.

I also remember when Wikipedia was on a tear about erasing all references to web-comics. It's like there is a group within the Wikipedia editors who are desperate for Respectability, (the capitalization is important), and target anything within Wikipedia which has more to do with TV Guide or People than Colliers or Websters.
We could keep the alphabetic and put people of other genders whose names start with the corresponding alphabetical letter. That way we achieve both things.
(10-08-2019, 03:23 AM)Avengium Wrote: We could keep the alphabetic and put people of other genders whose names start with the corresponding alphabetical letter. That way we achieve both things.

Personally, since they ARE alphabetized, I just think of them by letter. I could see regional variations where the names were different but the key initial was the same.

So, on the planet this encyclopedia is based on, for instance, the months could be listed:
Addams, Barks, Capp, (or Crumb, if you're feeling particularly trollish), Disney, Eisner,...

Another location might list them:
Atanasoff, Berry, Cray, Dix, Estridge,...
Too bad both Wang and Turing are beyond the 13th letter, but Hopper comes in under the line.

Some locations could even change it up. Replacing the names periodically, annually, or, like we do with hurricanes, retiring month names after something really notable happened.

(Of course, then there is my suggestion to reorder the alphabet so that 'Q' comes first, followed by 'W', then 'E', and ending with 'M'...)

Edit. I was going to suggest "Barbara" for the 'B', but then I noticed "Barks" was responsible for a large chunk of the Disney stable.
Edit2. On those worlds that use the calendar to enshrine individuals of local importance, the years could alternate, so on odd-numbered years, the calendar runs A-M, and on even-numbered years, it could run N-Z.  Of course, then everyone needs to have a ROT-13 script in their heads.
Something we spoke about a while ago was days of the week for the Tranquility calendar, choosing 7 influential female scientists.
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!