The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Anyone watching The Expanse season 4?
I've read all the novels in the series.

I think the season was a good adaptation of Cibola Burn, but it inherited some of the flaws of the novel. However SFX were absolutely top notch this time, especially the scenes that happen in orbit
Just finished episode 2 of season 4. I’m enjoying it immensely. Looks like the transition from SciFi to Amazon went well. I will confess I did not care for Cibola Burns and thought it far weaker than its predecessors. Come to think of it, I think this is one of those rare cases where the show/film is better than the books. Thoughts?
Yes indeed the series is better written than the books and more interesting. The writers of the books have a strong tendency to add a lot of unnecessary details and redundancies of explanations, as if to fill up space in the book. That being said, I think part of this success has to do with the fact that the show screen writers sat together with the book authors and built the show in agreement with their vision of their story. The book writers have even ended up writing episodes for season 4 if I'm not mistaken. In turn, the show has influenced the books and the style has greatly improved, especially in the last novel to date, although the unnecessary details problem remains, in my opinion.

If I compare to Alastair Reynolds, his writing is much neater and goes much straighter to the point, in my opinion
Yeah, I prefer Alastair Reynolds as an author but I think his books would be harder to adapt to the small screen.