The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Proof-reading EG
It's a term - the Y11K equivalent to 'statesman', without being humanocentric.

From dictionary.com - the 'current' definition:

noun, plural statesmen.
1. a person who is experienced in the art of government or versed in the administration of government affairs.
2. a person who exhibits great wisdom and ability in directing the affairs of a government or in dealing with important public issues.

We might change the word 'person' to 'sophont', but otherwise one or the other of these (or both) probably works as is.

Any other thoughts on this?

Todd
(05-19-2015, 11:13 AM)Drashner1 Wrote: It's a term - the Y11K equivalent to 'statesman', without being humanocentric.

From dictionary.com - the 'current' definition:

noun, plural statesmen.
1. a person who is experienced in the art of government or versed in the administration of government affairs.
2. a person who exhibits great wisdom and ability in directing the affairs of a government or in dealing with important public issues.

We might change the word 'person' to 'sophont', but otherwise one or the other of these (or both) probably works as is.

Any other thoughts on this?

Looks like a short EG entry to me. To make it a bit more 'OA' we might want to mention that the statesbeing could be either an 'independent' sophont or a sub-personality of a transapient. Putting it all together, the entry could run something like this:

Statesbeing
From the Old Anglic term 'statesman'. A modosophont, or sometimes a distinct sub-personality of a transapient or archailect, who is experienced in the art of government and administration. Sometimes used in the superlative sense of one who shows especially notable skill and wisdom in directing the affairs of a government and dealing with important public issues.
Stephen
(05-24-2015, 01:58 AM)Matterplay1 Wrote: Statesbeing
From the Old Anglic term 'statesman'. A modosophont, or sometimes a distinct sub-personality of a transapient or archailect, who is experienced in the art of government and administration. Sometimes used in the superlative sense of one who shows especially notable skill and wisdom in directing the affairs of a government and dealing with important public issues.

I like itSmile

One minor suggested tweak:

From the Old Anglic term 'statesman'. A modosophont, or sometimes a distinct sub-personality of a transapient or archailect, who is experienced in the art of government and administration. Sometimes used in the superlative sense of one who shows especially notable skill and wisdom in directing the affairs of a government or dealing with important public issues.

Changing the last 'and' to 'or' opens up the possibility of 'non-professional' entities also being statesbeings or moving into that state after leaving government service or the like. Or never having been involved with government as their job in the first place.

Gandhi, Dr. Martin Luther King, and various of the Founding Fathers of the United States might qualify as this. I'm sure there are a great many others to be found in the histories of other countries, that I'm not familiar with.

Todd
(05-24-2015, 07:23 AM)Drashner1 Wrote: One minor suggested tweak:

From the Old Anglic term 'statesman'. A modosophont, or sometimes a distinct sub-personality of a transapient or archailect, who is experienced in the art of government and administration. Sometimes used in the superlative sense of one who shows especially notable skill and wisdom in directing the affairs of a government or dealing with important public issues.

Changing the last 'and' to 'or' opens up the possibility of 'non-professional' entities also being statesbeings or moving into that state after leaving government service or the like. Or never having been involved with government as their job in the first place.

Gandhi, Dr. Martin Luther King, and various of the Founding Fathers of the United States might qualify as this. I'm sure there are a great many others to be found in the histories of other countries, that I'm not familiar with.

Sounds good with your tweak. Unless anybody has any other improvements to suggest I'll drop this one into the EG with its own entry some time this week.
Stephen
Sweet, I figured it had to be something simple, a sexless referral to a statesman like figure never occurred to me and it really should have Blush, thanks.
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GB$/MU/PA/TW$/IT$/CW/WB OA+>+++ >H+++ M++ P B+ S+ D Sp+++
SF++ d++ s-:- a C++ L+>+++ W+++ N+++ K+ W++>--- M-- t+
R+(+++) b++++ DI+++ G+ e+ h---- r+++ z++++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
(05-27-2015, 12:35 PM)CptnMus Wrote: Sweet, I figured it had to be something simple, a sexless referral to a statesman like figure never occurred to me and it really should have Blush, thanks.

Thanks. :-) Draft of the article here:
http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/5565d1282182b
Stephen
http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/4802acd634205

Quote:First discovered when it was still a over a million light-years from the edge of their galaxy

http://orionsarm.com/eg-article/48f7d26295d0f

The above article is "plagued" by a weird series of symbols which appear to be almost everythere. It's scary. Smile Here's an example:

Quote:At first all available high technology was used � shuttles, robotic building, expert systems and biotech.

As I said this isn't the only occurrence. Then there is this sentence:

Quote:Adonis is a semi-secret group of male rights activists, working against the Mothers.

The Adonis-link in this sentence leads to an extremely short EG entry consisting of exactly one sentence and it appears that the explanation for Adonis in that EG entry doesn't match the explanation for Adonis in the New Gaia EG entry. It doesn't make sense to me. Both EG entries seem to talk about different Adonis groups unless of course the Adonis group on New Gaia has a long off-world history? But this history isn't explained in the New Gaia article and it isn't mentioned in the one-sentence-Adonis-article.

Quote:note: Gaianese is spoken by primitivist Gaian society only - the Technopolises speak a have a different dialect

http://orionsarm.com/eg-topic/45cbca2e75287

Quote:In 3039 a.t. the <{A49addd86dfb82,Compact of Eden}> was announced by the representatives of the AI Gods.
"Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people." -- Edward Robert Harrison
These have now all been fixed, although the article on New Gaia could honestly use some updating and polishing, if anyone wants to play with it.

Thanks!

Todd
I've updated the New Gaia article somewhat-
http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/48f7d26295d0f

and added a new image. Are there any other edits to the content that might be made?
[Image: newgaia.png]

I like it!