The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Proof-reading EG
Thanks; I think that when we do rewrite ylem, it will be useful as a shield against some wavelengths, so this can stay for the present.
In the Penglai article, under 'The Dirty War', there is the following: In 889 the Hao Chen government was toppled by a serious corruption scandal (including sex, murder, abuse of power and many juicy details) leaving a major power vacuum.

Maybe the bit in brackets is a little informal?
I've just checked -this wording goes back to the first write-up about Penglai written some time before 2000. But we can change it to something a little more 'encyclopaedic' if you like. Suggestions?
http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/5447847c90f1a

Commits one of my most-hated (because most-common, sigh) linguistic pet peeves.

"Discreet" means non-obvious or secret.

"Discrete" means unitary and separated.

That, along with one-word "alot", are things I absolutely go bonkers over.

Not ranting.... not ranting .... not ranting.... No, edit out the rant .... Grrrrr...
I'm not clear on what the word 'discrete' means in the context of this article. The Morrigans are a discrete clade of combat tweaks; they might be discreet when they are fighting, but that is an admirable (but often unobtainable) attribute for any kind of violence.
(07-28-2015, 04:29 PM)stevebowers Wrote: I'm not clear on what the word 'discrete' means in the context of this article. The Morrigans are a discrete clade of combat tweaks; they might be discreet when they are fighting, but that is an admirable (but often unobtainable) attribute for any kind of violence.

I intended "discreet," as in "not immediately obvious."

While Grammarist.com notes "alot" is informal and often even a misspelling, I see the term "lot" used frequently at work in the industrial sense to refer to "specific batches of a product." For example, "We just had a lot of electrical connectors delivered where two connectors were oozing solder from improperly bonded joints. Was that a lot-specific material problem or is the vendor's quality control slacking?" To differentiate between "a lot" (a batch) and "a lot" (a metric buttload), I prefer to use "alot" in the latter application and damn the autocorrect.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer
----------------------

"Everbody's always in favor of saving Hitler's brain, but when you put it in the body of a great white shark, oh, suddenly you've gone too far." -- Professor Farnsworth, Futurama
Discreet now fixed.
It is possible to get a job lot of items from a vendor; I suppose it should be possible to get a lot of lots, perhaps by visiting several different (discrete) outlets discreetly.
(07-29-2015, 01:23 AM)stevebowers Wrote: It is possible to get a job lot of items from a vendor; I suppose it should be possible to get a lot of lots, perhaps by visiting several different (discrete) outlets discreetly.

Big Grin
----------------------

"Everbody's always in favor of saving Hitler's brain, but when you put it in the body of a great white shark, oh, suddenly you've gone too far." -- Professor Farnsworth, Futurama
Steve, thanks for getting the Brobdingnag article up and inserting all those many links. A few comments:

Third paragraph under "Overview" says: "...Brobdingnag’s acceleration burn was the final public demonstration of what was claimed to be (in 8412AT)..." That date is contradictory with the one I gave later, under Voyages and Community (8873). I'd prefer to keep the later date since subsequent discussion of its voyages are built on 8873, so the 8412 date in Overview should be replaced with 8873.

Second paragraph under "Voyages and Community" has two dead links (to to'ul'h and mu'uh).
----------------------