The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Proof-reading EG
(01-15-2016, 11:04 AM)PortalHunter Wrote: Locus seems to have the majority of its text bolded.

Fixed. Thanks!
Stephen
Hey folks. Just noticed on the Soft Ones page - at one point "Muuh" is misspelled as "Muuch". ;p
James Rogers, Professional Idiot
Hi guys - on the Beneficience page (http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/483f5ec5eb666), this seems a bit pseudo-sciencey -

"In the year 2052 AT (Empire Time), The Beneficence Ascension and Annunciation occurred. Terragen Civilization became aware of the Annunciation first when a message (usually described as sounding like the listener's own thoughts) was received by all sophont entities by unknown means. It was shaped and crafted to be comprehensible to the toposophic level of the receiver. There are even some indications that some sort of communication occurred with pre-sentiment beings."

And some more shortly following.
(01-16-2016, 09:56 PM)Centauri5921 Wrote: Hey folks. Just noticed on the Soft Ones page - at one point "Muuh" is misspelled as "Muuch". ;p

Fixed. Thanks!
Stephen
(01-17-2016, 10:11 PM)QueElEs Wrote: Hi guys - on the Beneficience page (http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/483f5ec5eb666), this seems a bit pseudo-sciencey -

"In the year 2052 AT (Empire Time), The Beneficence Ascension and Annunciation occurred. Terragen Civilization became aware of the Annunciation first when a message (usually described as sounding like the listener's own thoughts) was received by all sophont entities by unknown means. It was shaped and crafted to be comprehensible to the toposophic level of the receiver. There are even some indications that some sort of communication occurred with pre-sentiment beings."

Fixed the misspelled word. I believe the content can be fixed by making receipt of the original message massively widespread. Beneficent believers would later declare that it was universal, and miraculous, and reached presophonts. Skeptics would of course assert that it was somehow accomplished through the various localnets via DNI connections or other communication devices and might or might not have reached presophonts. Other thoughts on that?
Stephen
(01-18-2016, 04:58 PM)Matterplay1 Wrote:
(01-17-2016, 10:11 PM)QueElEs Wrote: Hi guys - on the Beneficience page (http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/483f5ec5eb666), this seems a bit pseudo-sciencey -

Fixed the misspelled word. I believe the content can be fixed by making receipt of the original message massively widespread. Beneficent believers would later declare that it was universal, and miraculous, and reached presophonts. Skeptics would of course assert that it was somehow accomplished through the various localnets via DNI connections or other communication devices and might or might not have reached presophonts. Other thoughts on that?

Yeah, that seems good. Just so long as the claims are qualified a bit!

I think we should take out the references to xenos and other groups isolated from mainstream Terragen civ receiving the message.
In the Solsys article...

Quote:Stargates:
Einstein Gate to Tau Ceti (originally 450 meter diameter, later upgraded to 5000 meter gauge)
Sothis Bridge to Sirius

And then a minor article in the Related Articles section:

Quote:Einstein Bridge - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Wormhole linking Sol System and Tau Ceti. It is the oldest macroscopic wormhole still in operation and, apart from a period during the Version War when it was shut down, it has been in continuous operation since the middle Expansion Age.

Is this an inconsistency worth noting?
(01-19-2016, 12:56 AM)QueElEs Wrote: Yeah, that seems good. Just so long as the claims are qualified a bit!

I think we should take out the references to xenos and other groups isolated from mainstream Terragen civ receiving the message.

Good point. Here again I'd like to tweak that to some large number of known and verified instances, plus a claim from the Beneficence people that the scope was much larger, or perhaps even infinite. Though to be fair the author describes a fair number of mundane explanations for the observed data already.

Maybe just my cynical nature, and almost certainly not what the author intended, but my first take on the whole Beneficences 'Ascension' technorapture is that it was some kind of transapient-led equivalent of a Jim Jones massacre, where those who 'drank the kool aid' were destroyed or subsumed.
Stephen
(01-21-2016, 08:01 AM)PortalHunter Wrote: In the Solsys article...

Quote:Stargates:
Einstein Gate to Tau Ceti (originally 450 meter diameter, later upgraded to 5000 meter gauge)
Sothis Bridge to Sirius

And then a minor article in the Related Articles section:

Quote:Einstein Bridge - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Wormhole linking Sol System and Tau Ceti. It is the oldest macroscopic wormhole still in operation and, apart from a period during the Version War when it was shut down, it has been in continuous operation since the middle Expansion Age.

Is this an inconsistency worth noting?

Doing a search on the site, there are multiple (6-8) references to 'Einstein Gate' and only a couple to 'Einstein Bridge'. So, based on LOE, it would be simplest to change the two instances of Bridge to Gate.

That said, I'm not averse to changing everything to Bridge if folks like that name better. Only a bit more effort. No big deal.

What does everyone prefer?

Todd
Hehehe, like the Einstein-Rosen Bridge in the Marvel universe's Asgard.