The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Proof-reading EG
(06-06-2021, 01:33 PM)NexusEye Wrote: On the black hole page the link to the Hawking radiation calculator is down and has been for a while. The closest equivalent I could find is this calculator which seems to be an exact clone of Xaonon's version with the exception of a different initial default mass and the addition of a peak photon wavelength function.

Hi There! Welcome to OA Smile

Please feel free to join in on any conversations that catch your interest or to start a new one(s) if you are so inclined. Also, if you have any questions or concerns regarding the OA setting or project, please don't hesitate to ask. Finally, if you'd like, OA also maintains a Discord server for 'real time' conversations, although setting development and revisions all ultimately end up on the forum as a matter of editorial policy.

Getting back to the issue above - Thas now been fixed and I also took the opportunity to combine the Black Hole article with the Supermassive Black Holes article (since it makes more sense for there to be just one article on this general subject) and do some generalized design mods and word smithing.

Thanks for catching this!

Todd
(06-06-2021, 04:58 PM)NexusEye Wrote: On the Argus Array page the figure given for the light gathering capability of the Argus Array, just over 10^27 m^2, is inconsistent with the description of the array as 8000 20 AU diameter spheres. Assuming the array is composed of 8000 20 AU wide bubbles its cross section would be pi*(10 AU)^2*8000 or 5.625*10^28 m^2. This discrepancy seems to be caused by two factors. First what seems to be the original source for the 10^27 figure uses a factor of 2pi for the cross-sectional area calculation instead of just pi, while the surface area that could view an arbitrary portion of the sky would be 2pi*r^2 (as the surface area of one hemisphere would be half of the sphere's total surface area of 4pi*r^2) much of this surface is at an angle and the total cross section and thus effective light gathering area would be still pi*r^2. The other cause seems to be an order of magnitude error. While 2pi*(10 AU)^2*8000 is still not consistent with 10^27 m^2 if 10 AU is substituted with 1 AU then the resulting figure is 1.125*10^27 m^2 or just over 10^27 m^2 which matches what currently appears in the article.

In order for the Argus Array page to be self-consistent either the light gathering area must be increased to 5.625*10^28 m^2 (and the necessary photon collection times be recalculated), the number of sensor elements be reduced 160 20 AU telescopes, the number of elements be kept the same but the diameter of each telescope be reduced from 20 AU to 2√2 AU, or some combination of the previous.

Thanks for catching this!

Given how we roll around here, I can confidently say that our preferred course of action would be to increase the light gathering area and then recalculate the photon collection times.

That said - and bearing in mind I've only quickly skimmed the source forum post that you linked to after reading your post this AM and don't have a good sense of the level of math involved - how challenging/labor intensive is recalculating the photon collection times?

If this is something you could do, that would be very helpfulSmile If that's something you'd rather not/don't have the time or know how to do, then another member may be able to (the original poster from the forum is no longer active with the project, I'm afraid). Or we may be able to adjust the wording in the article to gloss over that particular aspect of things.

Thoughts?

Todd
(05-22-2021, 05:10 AM)stevebowers Wrote: Fixed, thanks! I went to the Wayback Machine to get the oldest version.

I think I'll add links between these pages, to facilitate flipping between them.

which issue of Voices future tense had badmod?

I didn't see it on the internet archive wayback machine and so I'm checking if issues 2-10 are somehow available?
I'd added links to the versions backed up on the wayback machine until getting a chance to put the issues directly onto the Orions arm website a while ago , but there seemed to be 2-10+18, 19 missing
IIRC I have both the TOCs and the stories for issues 2-10 etc. stored in my cloud drive somewhere. At the least I know I have the TOCs and we could rebuild the issues from that if needed.

This has been on my 'to do' list for some time but it keeps slipping thru the cracks. :/

Todd
(06-07-2021, 12:54 AM)Drashner1 Wrote: IIRC I have both the TOCs and the stories for issues 2-10 etc. stored in my cloud drive somewhere. At the least I know I have the TOCs and we could rebuild the issues from that if needed.

This has been on my 'to do' list for some time but it keeps slipping thru the cracks. :/

Todd

EDIT:

I don't recall that BadMod was ever in V:FT, but could check.

Steve - Perhaps we could collaborate on getting these issues re-created in the CMS? I know you've probably got 900 other things going on so if you'd rather not, I'll make it happen at some point. I'm planning to take some time off work in early July so may have time to at least make a dent in it then.
(06-07-2021, 12:54 AM)Drashner1 Wrote: IIRC I have both the TOCs and the stories for issues 2-10 etc. stored in my cloud drive somewhere. At the least I know I have the TOCs and we could rebuild the issues from that if needed.

Todd

oh ok nice
I could do that at some point if you want (July maybe)
On another related note, Trond has informed me that some number of our story pages are actually on general pages (the CMS actually differentiates these and story pages have features that general don't). I don't recall the details atm, but overall it would be preferable for us to fix this issue at some point. Not that it necessarily needs to be done all at once, most likely.

I will aim to refresh myself on the details of this next time I chat with Trond or may reach out to him directly via email.

Will loop back to the group with what I find out.

Thanks!

Todd
(06-07-2021, 01:44 AM)Drashner1 Wrote: On another related note, Trond has informed me that some number of our story pages are actually on general pages (the CMS actually differentiates these and story pages have features that general don't). I don't recall the details atm, but overall it would be preferable for us to fix this issue at some point. Not that it necessarily needs to be done all at once, most likely.

I will aim to refresh myself on the details of this next time I chat with Trond or may reach out to him directly via email.

Will loop back to the group with what I find out.

Thanks!

Todd

Oh those are the Contents sections from a few stories- I wasn't sure if they should be moved. (badmod, long forgotton war, and a few others) 

and the voices/future tense issues , if those count as stories
Quote:Thanks for catching this!

Given how we roll around here, I can confidently say that our preferred course of action would be to increase the light gathering area and then recalculate the photon collection times.

That said - and bearing in mind I've only quickly skimmed the source forum post that you linked to after reading your post this AM and don't have a good sense of the level of math involved - how challenging/labor intensive is recalculating the photon collection times?

If this is something you could do, that would be very helpfulSmile If that's something you'd rather not/don't have the time or know how to do, then another member may be able to (the original poster from the forum is no longer active with the project, I'm afraid). Or we may be able to adjust the wording in the article to gloss over that particular aspect of things.

Thoughts?

Todd
I believe photon collection time is inversely proportional to light gathering area and since the difference in light gathering area is a factor of 50 the 1 meter object in Andromeda should be resolved in 21.9 days and the 10 km object should be resolved in 200 milliseconds. It’s probably for the best if someone could double check these numbers themselves to make sure I haven’t made a mistake.
(06-07-2021, 06:25 AM)NexusEye Wrote: I believe photon collection time is inversely proportional to light gathering area and since the difference in light gathering area is a factor of 50 the 1 meter object in Andromeda should be resolved in 21.9 days and the 10 km object should be resolved in 200 milliseconds. It’s probably for the best if someone could double check these numbers themselves to make sure I haven’t made a mistake.

Sounds good. I'll ask around among the membership, assuming someone doesn't just pass by and post about in the normal course of things.

Thanks!

Todd