The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Your personal polity
(07-07-2014, 05:05 PM)Steel Accord Wrote: Much is made of the Sephirotic Empires in the setting.

So to all of you here, which one would you like to live in?

I'm somewhat allergic to living in places organized around a single principle or idea, so my first choice would be some place that has more than one allegiance. If not a polity composed of people with allegiances to various different Sephirotics then perhaps at least a system that has several polities with different sorts of orientations. That's a bit of a cheat though, since you asked us to pick just one.

If I had to pick just one it would be the Terran Federation. Moreso than the others, they make a strong effort to involve ordinary sophonts in governance. I would like that, and would participate with enthusiasm. They also seem to have an abundance of living spaces that are, or resemble, earth-like planets, and in terms of physical surroundings I would far prefer to live in a place where the weather of the day is not programmed by anyone, not even me or my voting block, and where the animals and plants are not under close direction and can surprise me. Even if the whole planet was terraformed and seeded it could quickly come to resemble something much less programmed, like our original home world. A well established Banks Orbital would probably also provide something similar.

In terms of places to visit I'd be most inclined to go and stay for a few days or decades in worlds of the Zoeific Bioplity (to see the biosystems), Metasoft (to observe the mechosystems), the Communion of Worlds (I think they would have much I could learn about harmonious communities and relationships), and the Sophic League (for a retreat and meditation on the deeper and less readily explicable aspects of life). I would also want to study some of the xeno worlds that are under the protection of the Caretaker Gods, if I could build the qualifications do to so and could manage it without accidentally violating a rule and being expelled or vaporized. Again if I were sufficiently qualified I'd be interested in helping design and install ecosystem in some of the MPA habs, but probably that kind of work would also be available in my home Sephirotic, the Terran Federation.
Stephen

Messages In This Thread
Your personal polity - by Steel Accord - 07-07-2014, 05:05 PM
RE: Your personal polity - by stevebowers - 07-07-2014, 08:15 PM
RE: Your personal polity - by kch49er - 07-07-2014, 08:53 PM
RE: Your personal polity - by Drashner1 - 07-08-2014, 02:49 AM
RE: Your personal polity - by Rynn - 07-08-2014, 03:44 AM
RE: Your personal polity - by radtech497 - 07-08-2014, 04:57 AM
RE: Your personal polity - by Ares Johnson - 07-08-2014, 09:32 AM
RE: Your personal polity - by kch49er - 07-08-2014, 06:38 PM
RE: Your personal polity - by Matterplay1 - 07-09-2014, 12:45 AM