The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

What does Post-Monetarism Mean?
Just a brief comment on advertising. We are not implying advertising would be banned, but there would simply be no incitament to try to make people consume as much as possible so you can make gargantuan profits. Regarding economies of scale, one of the problems today - the main problem I would argue - is that we are using between 1,33 and 1,50 Earths globally annually, and that it eventually will cause a mass extinction and thereby the social collapse of our civilization.

Quote:Accumulation of capital results in wealth inequality if there is not sufficient growth. To paraphrase Capital by Piketty: wealth inequality rises when capital grains exceed economic growth. I'm not defending growth as a necessary and would like to see a steady-state system implemented (where growth occurred when desired and appropriate rather than as a means to keep the whole system going) but you need a check on the accumulation of capital. It becomes increasingly easy to make more money and accumulate more capital the more you have, not always of course but as a general rule. If your economy isn't growing then this means the owners of land and industry will steadily accumulate a larger percentage of the whole.

Yes, and this was what I described, with other words. So did medieval economies work. Since most capital is ending up in the hands of a superclass, there will be less money chasing goods if we have a circular monetary system (without massive regulations). It seems that the best route forward is to move towards some sort of post-monetary system. Smile

Messages In This Thread
What does Post-Monetarism Mean? - by stevebowers - 09-28-2014, 08:40 PM
RE: What does Post-Monetarism Mean? - by kch49er - 09-28-2014, 09:03 PM
RE: What does Post-Monetarism Mean? - by Rynn - 09-28-2014, 09:44 PM
RE: What does Post-Monetarism Mean? - by Rynn - 09-29-2014, 09:44 PM
RE: What does Post-Monetarism Mean? - by Rynn - 10-01-2014, 08:27 PM
RE: What does Post-Monetarism Mean? - by Lewx_Lucas - 10-02-2014, 04:49 AM
RE: What does Post-Monetarism Mean? - by kch49er - 10-02-2014, 09:47 PM
RE: What does Post-Monetarism Mean? - by QueElEs - 05-11-2016, 04:04 PM
RE: What does Post-Monetarism Mean? - by Cray - 05-11-2016, 08:50 PM