The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

What are some of your favorite Science Fiction
TV: Stargate franchise, early episodes of SG1 are best. Star Trek, late episodes of DS9 being the best. First season of Andromeda. And recently, I was very upset when they canceled Almost Human. That show was starting to turn into something good. Continuum - usually time travel is done poorly, this one does it fairly well.
As an exercise left to the reader - check out the writing credits for the first two seasons of the 70s kid show "Land of the Lost".

Movies: Star Wars (the first three, anyway), Alien, Silent Running, Blade Runner, Enemy Mine, The Thing...
But sci-fi movies are something I can like even if they are terrible (I can't abide poorly executed fantasy movies, but am willing to swallow cheesy as hell sci-fi movies....mental quirk I guess) - so I also like stuff like Battle Beyond the Stars, Barbarella, Zardoz, Logan's Run, The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai Across the 8th Dimension, They Live, The Ice Pirates - this list could go on indefinitely. It would be easier to list sci-fi movies I didn't like.

Books: Anything by Vernor Vinge. Just started reading the Culture novels by Banks, but it's good so far. Most everything by Larry Niven leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but I keep going back for more - so he must be doing something right. Herbert's Dune, but pretty much just the first one. Doorways in the Sand and My Name is Legion by Roger Zelazny. My first real Science Fiction novel as a kid was The Stainless Steel Rat by Harry Harrison....Or maybe it was Microcosmic God by Theodore Sturgeon (I got both of them from the "Troll Book Club" in elementary school).

Messages In This Thread
RE: What are some of your favorite Science Fiction - by rom65536 - 11-11-2014, 10:22 PM