The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Astronomers may have found giant alien 'megastructures' orbiting star near the Milky
(11-08-2015, 03:13 AM)stevebowers Wrote: I think that one scenario that still inspires some hope and effort at SETI is the concept of the Galactic Internet
http://www.centauri-dreams.org/?p=28408
Civilisations could send long, detailed messages to each other, including recipes for technology, encoded minds, news and idle chit-chat. Any megastructure we discover might be a transmission node for such a system. Nevertheless we might not expect to intercept any messages from such a distant node, unless we were very lucky or they deliberately target us.
Even if the Galactic Internet concept is valid, statistics from the RL internet suggests that less than half of the total population of technologically capable civilizations would have access (Earth in 2015 CE being one of the unconnected masses).

Radtech497
"I'd much rather see you on my side, than scattered into... atoms." Ming the Merciless, Ruler of the Universe

Messages In This Thread
RE: Astronomers may have found giant alien 'megastructures' orbiting star near the Milky - by radtech497 - 11-08-2015, 03:40 AM