The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Astronomers may have found giant alien 'megastructures' orbiting star near the Milky
(05-20-2017, 09:31 AM)tmazanec1 Wrote: Just heard there is a big dimming in progress now!
If the dimming is caused by a solar power megastructure in a 750 day orbit, what Kardashev Level would this imply? I figure 1.4...am I right?

It would depend on what the hypothetical megastructure 'is':

a) If it is a (near) finished structure in its own right, perhaps intended to beam energy around or boost beamrider starships or whatever, then a Type 1.X is certainly plausible. The exact value of X would be harder to determine because I'm not sure that there is any widely accepted standard for what the various decimal values would represent in terms of capability.

b) If it is a structure that is still under construction and will eventually result in a Dyson Sphere or equivalent structure, then we are essentially talking about a Type 2 civilization either in the act of being born or engaging in build another such structure.

c) If it is a construct that won't intercept most of the entire solar output, but is the product of a civ that could do/has done such a thing elsewhere, it is Type 2 technology, although it might not be a dyson or equivalent.

d) If it is a construct that won't intercept most of the entire solar output and actually doing that would be beyond the capacities of the civilization that created it, it is Type 1.X.

My 2c worth,

Todd

Messages In This Thread
RE: Astronomers may have found giant alien 'megastructures' orbiting star near the Milky - by Drashner1 - 05-20-2017, 11:23 AM