The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

warships and troop transports disguised as grapeships
(02-09-2016, 06:59 PM)Rynn Wrote: The story seems pretty interesting. In general the terragen sphere is a peaceful place but there's bound to be constant minor conflicts like this. How long until you post a draft do you think? I'm just thinking it might be good to get out some details to the group soon for feedback just in case something big comes up that would need to change.

What figures are you using to estimate troop numbers? In my experience it's always good to post your assumptions and working for things like this. Also what do you mean when you say "troop" and "support personnel"? Are you thinking of human soldiers and workers here?

I looked up "billgated community" and all I got back was Google asking if I meant "bill gates community". That only led to various articles about bill gates. What does the term mean (assuming you invented it).

I should be able to post a draft soon.Smile

If a grapeship shuttlepod is 400 meters in diameter, and 1/20 the volume is a habitat module, there's room for over 130,000 beds. 16 pods gives a figure of 2.1 million personnel. Granted, I could have screwed up my math.

Humans and 'vecs. Assault battalions; military police, civil affairs and psychological warfare brigades; various supply and support units. A lot of the support is probably automated with humans and 'vecs and aioids supervising. The supporting battle fleet of autowar carriers is also disguised as grapeships ("Jane's Battleships," General-Admiral Jane Nakamura commanding).

We've had gated communities in the USA for quite some time now. Keeps the riff-raff way. Therefore, a billgated community is a virtual version of this; in effect a very security-conscious virch residential community.

"Monopoly is just a game, Senator. I'm out to control the f***ing world. Soon there will be Total Information Technology. And when you're sucking on the T.I.T. I'll have you by the motherboard." -- Robin Williams' impersonation of Bill Gates

Messages In This Thread
RE: warships and troop transports disguised as grapeships - by m.ellis - 02-10-2016, 05:06 AM