The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

"Weeding" the Timeline & Early Timeline Contribution Guidelines?
Your right.

I think it would be more productive to focus on what should be in the information age timeline thank what should be removed from it. I know that there is an overall description on the page, but I think we should shift the discussion on what the information age timeline should contain in a radical hard sci fi world in present OA. Personally I favor being more "hard" in the information era since I feel we don't have very much creative room in the near term without contradicting RL events regularly.

However it has become apparent to me that forecasting in the next 300 years (and to some extent the next 100 years) is borline impossible. There is more certainty implied in forecasting than in projecting. I now feel projecting is closer to the sprit of the project, whereas earlier I was leaning towards forcasting when editing the early timeline.

I have an idea on moving some of the genetic advancements somewhat later in the information age to give them somewhat more plausibity. One of the things I admire about the OA project is a commitment to "radical" hard science fiction. I like to make the early timeline more "hard" since we have a great deal of flexibility to alter the early timeline without significant changes to the post Sundering timeline. Part of me really wants to believe that the early 500 years in the timeline will be our actual future.

What I want is some clarification on how hard the early timeline, especially the information age, should be compared to the rest of the timeline.

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Weeding" the Timeline & Early Timeline Contribution Guidelines? - by QwertyYerty - 10-06-2016, 01:53 PM