The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Tranquillity Calendar Converter Tool
(02-10-2017, 03:17 AM)Bear Wrote: I think the understood conversion is that the "zero date" is January 1 of 1970 (the unix epoch and also the first start-of-year after the Tranquillity landing) being equivalent to Archimedes 1 of the year zero AT? This tool has it as the date of the moon landing, which makes for really awkward conversions I don't think most people would put up with at the changeover.

This article discusses how the Tranquility Calendar works. It actually does start counting from the date of the moon landing. The calendar was adopted by the inhabitants of Luna who likely didn't much care what the inhabitants of Earth found awkward or notWink

(02-10-2017, 03:17 AM)Bear Wrote: Anyway there are thousands or billions of different calendars in use across the Terragen sphere. Furthermore, with the Wormhole network, there's only an approximate notion of simultenaeity. Two people can travel different routes from A to B, both experiencing less than a day of subjective time, and arrive years apart.

A single standard of time is physically impossible over interstellar distances, even with wormholes. Also, because the wormhole nexus is organized to prevent time machine issues, I don't believe the situation you describe could actually occur. Also, OA wormholes (the stargates at least) take quite a lot longer than a day to transit.

You could have a situation where one person travels via engenerator and another takes a ship and therefore each has a radically different experience of the passage of time. But that would work as readily in flatspace as by traveling via a wormhole.

Todd

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tranquillity Calendar Converter Tool - by Drashner1 - 02-10-2017, 02:48 PM