The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Suggestion: OA in spanish. Is this possible?
(03-09-2017, 10:07 PM)Avengium Wrote: I think is a daydreaming because the amount of articles are huge for one person. But i thought of this like i'm in a place with no time passing so i have all the time to translate the articles.
Rynn is right in the concerns. The page would need more urls for another languages and all kind of things.

Was just a wish of me wishing to read OA in spanish. I still want but it will be so slow. I want to translate with a method. First intro, then other pages that continue with that. Then other pages. In an order. Just to help translation.

Translating the OA 'business pages' such as the Welcome page, OA Primer, etc. would be fairly straightforward (although variably time consuming) since the website automatically generates a 'wrapper' around those kinds of pages that would be the same regardless of language and because there are a limited number of pages that don't change much over time.

However, the EG works a bit differently from the 'business pages' (including generally linking to many other articles in the EG) and consists of literally thousands of articles (over 3000 the last time I checked and that was many years ago - I'm betting we're closer to 10,000 articles by now) often involving fairly complex or unique concepts that might require some very careful translation to get the correct information across. And the EG is constantly growing. I don't think a single person could translate a significant amount of it in anything less than years - a task that seems like it would become very tedious for you fairly quickly.

More importantly, as much as we might like most members to stay active with the project forever, the fact of the matter is that most members join the project, are active for a time, and then move on to other things. If that were to happen with you while the translation project was ongoing, we could find ourselves with some number of Spanish pages and no way to either continue the translation process or update the pages that had been created (which for EG articles could potentially be problematic).

Summing this all up - While I think it would be doable to translate many of the OA website pages into Spanish, I don't think it would be practical to do this with the EG and might potentially cause problems down the road if we tried to do so at our current level of ability and resources.

It would be cool to be able to do this - but doing it beyond a fairly limited part of the project would be beyond our ability to pull of at this time.

Todd

Messages In This Thread
RE: Suggestion: OA in spanish. Is this possible? - by Drashner1 - 03-10-2017, 12:05 PM