The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Suggestion: OA in spanish. Is this possible?
(04-02-2018, 03:06 AM)extherian Wrote: True, but nonetheless many planets, habitats and megastructures retain names from Latin, Greek and the Nordic languages that influenced English. I often Google the names of worlds like, say, Heimat, to find out if it matches an existing word. Turns out Heimat is from German, and the name of the "Gahn" Space Agency is a Swedish surname. There's an awful lot of very familiar words in this setting, considering the amount of language drift that's supposed to have taken place.

I strongly suspect that that is mostly due to the majority of the project contributors coming from parts of the world where English is the primary language and the project itself being in English. Of those members who maybe have English as a second language, most of them that I'm aware of still come from parts of the world influenced by those languages.

It's actually kind of amusing that you talk about familiar words in the setting since one of biggest complaints we get from folks new to/unfamiliar with OA is the huge number of neologisms that we have all over the placeSmile Not laughing at you by any means, but it just touches my sense of humor based on past experience.

Moving to more concrete matters - If anyone wants to add names and terms based on different languages into the setting, they are more than welcome to do so. The main limitation/challenge at this point is that our Content Management System is designed to handle English and can also work with some mathematical expressions - so any names or terms would need to work in that range, at least in translation. While Chinese, or Arabic, or Russian or whatever alphabets would be great fun to include, we don't currently have a way to do that - short of making images and putting them inside the article as images - which we've done from time to time. I'm not sure if adding that capability would be easy, hard, or in between.

(04-02-2018, 03:06 AM)extherian Wrote: I think that accounts for just about every article I read! Most of them seem to have been written around 2001 or 2002, although the oldest articles from the Inner Sphere and Solsys have been updated since them.

Sorry about that. A lot of the main 'Topic' articles tend to be older as well as a lot of the 'summary' type articles. If/when you encounter something that seems to be out of date, whether in comparison to other things you've read or to responses you've received on the forum, please let us know and include a link to the relevant article. We'll get them all updated eventually.

(04-02-2018, 03:06 AM)extherian Wrote: Some of them would take a lot work to fully integrate into the setting as it is today. That was what I was trying to do with my Yas Om rewrite, but apparently I managed to throw out everything that made them interesting to begin with.

I suspect you're being far too hard on yourself. I haven't had a chance to really sit down and give your revised article a read thru. Life (both in and out of OA) is very busy right now, although I'm trying to stay at least partly caught up.

Please aim to periodically 'bump' your article so that it doesn't fall off the radar and continues to gather feedback until you feel ready to do a new draft. As part of that, I will try to give it a read thru and provide feedback within the next week or two.

Hope this helps,

Todd

Messages In This Thread
RE: Suggestion: OA in spanish. Is this possible? - by Drashner1 - 04-02-2018, 06:05 AM