The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

The Expanse and its compatibility with OA
(05-18-2019, 11:54 PM)Drashner1 Wrote: Astronomer - if you have some specific course of action you would like us to consider in regards to the Starlark images, then please stop beating around the bush and just tell us what it is. We may do it or we may not - but get to the point, please.

Alright, I'll stop beating around the (nonexistent) space bush: I demand a Starlark pic with dem glorious radiators (disclaimer: jk). Thanks in advance Big Grin

...now, back to Expanse. It is shown that the ships in that universe mainly fights with generic kinetic weapons(!!!) In other words, plain ol' guns, which, between lasers (we already have them) and particle beams (physics all worked out, in development), I don't think would be very useful at all, except maybe as a last ditch attempt to fight off enemy in close-range (no real advantages, however), if you want low-power weapons (which is totally unneeded, since all proper warships should be able to at least afford a fission reactor or two, and those often provides more than enough power for lasers), or if both lasers and particle beams, for some reason, are banned.
Now, if you, by any chance, play Children of a Dead Earth, you might point lasers' low efficiency and their inability to run hot resulting in them requiring hilariously big radiators, but real life military lasers are over 40% efficient, so that point is kind of...iffy.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Expanse and its compatibility with OA - by The Astronomer - 05-19-2019, 03:06 AM