The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Short story about back up technology
(04-19-2017, 12:11 PM)Drashner1 Wrote: Reminded me that, especially in the early part of the setting, the philosophical issues around Backup technology probably caused a lot of stress for a lot of people. By Y11k Backups are ancient tech and taken for granted in many places. The philosophical issues have presumably been resolved in one form or another across most of Terragen civ. But in the earlier part of the timeline, things would have been a lot less settled.

I find the idea a bit odd too. For something to be "Me" and not "Copy of Me" it would have to have continuity, though I fully appreciate that the quality of continuity isn't a constant (e.g. a period of unconsciousness is less continuous than a period of being awake). Which is why I find Egan's model of backup interesting. Rather than being a periodically updated static copy the implants are actually running a conscious mind and are being kept in sync by the natural brain. I'd still take comfort in the knowledge that, should I die with only an off-site static backup, a version of me would still exist. Mostly because of how much pain that would save my loved ones but also out of a feeling of fraternity with other instances of my/our identity.
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!

Messages In This Thread
Short story about back up technology - by Rynn - 04-19-2017, 12:46 AM
RE: Short story about back up technology - by Rynn - 04-19-2017, 08:04 PM