The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Help an artist! Answer some questions!
(06-09-2017, 08:19 AM)JohnnyYesterday Wrote: 1: I like to keep up with real world science and tech developments, so I read non-fluff sites like MIT Technology Review, Science, and Nature. I browse the Google Patent utility; one of my methods for finding artistic / sci-fi tech inspiration. I used to be a member of a couple of transhumanist groups on Facebook, but they got too damn political and annoyingly flaky in other ways, so I dropped out. I drop by Deviant Art sometimes.

2: Now, I mostly read educational books. I used to read more sci-fi, but I haven't seen anything new that grabbed my interest in probably around five years. The kind of stuff I really enjoy is packed with ideas and cool, e.g. Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age, Baroque Cycle and Anathem or any of Shirow Masamune's pre-balls-out-pervert work. If a sci-fi movie gets a "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes, odds are I like, or would like it. Hard or soft-SF, I don't care. I don't really care for most "Western" fantasy that isn't humorous. I had to really struggle to get through the Lord of the Rings movies. I can't even imagine the torture the books would be.

3: I used to read K. Eric Drexler's blog, but he hasn't written anything on there in three years. Very smart and thoughtful man. 

4: The development of molecular manufacturing as soon as possible, humanity living in space (all eggs in one basket is a bad idea), non-flaky environmentalism (I'm pro-nuclear energy and pro-GMOs).

5: Syd Mead, Shirow Masamune, Doug Chiang, Jean Giraud, H.R. Giger

6: Real creativity. There are many artists who have great technical skills, but their work is uninspired, it could have been created by anyone with equal or greater skill. For an example, H.R. Giger-aping work is a dime a dozen on Deviant Art. Some of it even looks photorealistic, "better" than Giger's own, thanks to digital tools. Do I care about it? Not a bit.

1. Google Patent utility?? I didn't know that existed! That's really cool, I'll have to check that out.

2. I've heard over and over again that I should read Anathem. I guess I should put in on my list? Wink

5. High five for Syd Mead and HR Giger!!

6. I agree with you there. I enjoy the Gigeresque style, obviously, being a huge Alien fan. But it's very clear when something is just copying his style. I can't think of many Giger-copycat artists whose names I remember.
I'm on Twitter!
Also Facebook!
And Pinterest!
(I'm pretty much everywhere)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Help an artist! Answer some questions! - by emalin212 - 06-18-2017, 07:39 AM