The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Greeting and Quick Question on Baryos
Baryos is one of the most speculative articles in OA. As it is a product of alien technology one might expect it to be weird, but this is particularly off the scale. No-one has ever detected a 'cold neutrino', let alone detected a star made of them. But I see no reason why this should be impossible. The gravity field would be similar to that surrounding a black hole of similar mass, but the gravity decreases towards the centre instead of increasing exponentially. So there should be a small amount of gravitational lensing surrounding the planet as seen from space, but there wouldn't be much distortion at the surface. The most likely visual effect would be that the horizon would be raised higher than on Earth, so that you would appear to be in a bowl with the stars gathered together over your head.

Anders indicates that a baseline human could stand on the surface of the planet - except it is a waterworld, so you'd need to be in a boat. The atmosphere of Baryos might be a risky place to stand - infalling meteoric dust would burn up brightly, illuminating the sky constantly with bolide-like intensity. But this wouldn't be too dangerous, until larger meteorites happen to fall nearby. Anything much larger than a pea would make a shock wave like the Chelyabinsk meteor. I'd stay underwater If I was there.

If this object was intended to be a prison then it has failed - there seems to be no trace of what was imprisoned there, but it may still lurk nearby. The escape velocity of 10000km/s is high, but not impossibly so- advanced propulsion systems could lift a fugitive from the surface. The greatest challenge would be to manufacture a craft capable of such speeds on a waterworld; mining and smelting materials would be tricky, so you'd have to use sophisticated fabrication tech.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Greeting and Quick Question on Baryos - by stevebowers - 09-19-2017, 01:01 AM