The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Giving the EG a Bit of a Remodel
So, inspired by Qualitum Dragon's feedback re making the site easier to navigate and 'get up to speed on' for new members, I'd like to suggest the following:

a) We've already started moving toward including Rynn's Snapshots (or presumably similar vignettes if/when we create them) at the start of various articles to provide a more story based window into what life is like in OA. I'd like to suggest that we continue to do this and, in particular, try to develop these for our Topic and major Article pages. These are often the first pages that new members see (they sort of form the skeleton for the entire EG) and by reading through them, a new person could find it easier to visualize and grasp the setting, while also being (hopefully) entertained in the process. We might also 'mine' our existing Traveler's Notes stories or vignettes for material as well.

b) I'd like to also suggest that we do something similar to what we've done on the updated Backstory and include 2-6 important terms and their definitions from the Glossary at the start of each Topic (and some important/more complex or specialized Articles) as well.

Taken together the layout might be something like:

Snapshot: A vignette set in OA that entertains the reader while helping them visualize OA.

Terms: 3-6 (on avg) important terms and their definitions that the reader will either encounter or that it would be good to know when they start reading the Topic/Article text.

The text of the Topic/Article explaining/describing whatever the concept/setting element is.

A link to the full Glossary added to the Additional Information section at the bottom of the page. Also links to any YouTube videos or the like that might be relevant to the subject matter. We've already done this a bit with Isaac Arthur's videos and could continue to expand on that.

Thoughts?

Todd

Messages In This Thread
Giving the EG a Bit of a Remodel - by Drashner1 - 04-08-2018, 08:31 AM
RE: Giving the EG a Bit of a Remodel - by selden - 04-09-2018, 04:04 AM
RE: Giving the EG a Bit of a Remodel - by Rynn - 04-13-2018, 06:49 PM
RE: Giving the EG a Bit of a Remodel - by Rynn - 05-09-2018, 04:32 AM
RE: Giving the EG a Bit of a Remodel - by Vaktus - 05-10-2018, 03:07 AM
RE: Giving the EG a Bit of a Remodel - by selden - 05-10-2018, 06:38 AM
RE: Giving the EG a Bit of a Remodel - by Vaktus - 05-23-2018, 01:53 PM
RE: Giving the EG a Bit of a Remodel - by selden - 06-24-2018, 04:46 AM
RE: Giving the EG a Bit of a Remodel - by selden - 07-01-2018, 10:55 PM