The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Gizmodo on mind uploading, featuring Anders Sandberg
(01-17-2019, 11:43 PM)iancampbell Wrote: What I'm referring to is a scan detailed enough to reproduce the structure and processes of a meat brain in a non-biological substrate of some sort. I'm not at all sure that it matters whether the uploading is destructive or otherwise; the information is the same either way.

Ok, so basically a fast copying process, whether destructive or non-destructive. It wouldn't matter to me either way, but it appears to matter to some people and if technology and processes to accommodate both methods can be developed, I don't see the harm.

(01-17-2019, 11:43 PM)iancampbell Wrote: Whether the copy is really alive or not is more of a religious question, I think.

Religious questions don't exist for me. I'm not sure the question of whether something is 'alive' or not really matters. If you can't tell the difference between an AI and a human, and you're willing to consider other humans to be people, why not consider the AI to be people as well? Making human equivalent AIs fully participating members of our society, with all the rights, responsibilities and privileges thereof seems like a much simpler solution than mucking around with the alternatives.

My 2c worth,

Todd

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gizmodo on mind uploading, featuring Anders Sandberg - by Drashner1 - 01-18-2019, 03:46 AM