The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Eclipse Phase Concepts in OA
JSo lately I’ve been getting very into the less-than-hard sci-fi RPG universe Eclipse Phase. For the most part it has a very good and cohesive story and universe design, and is hard science fiction for all but a handful of things, such as the way in which their wormholes work, possible FTL travel, quantum entangled communications, and psionics that apparently come from aliens. 

There are some concepts that I was wondering translate over to OA or am just wondering how they’re handled by OA. First and foremost is the concept of the Ego and the Morph. So in OA I know morphology is very important, but I’m not sure how malleable it is for most sophonts. In EP the morph is seen more like a suit than anything, and gradual and destructive uploading to transfer bodies and become infolife are commonplace, so how does OA approach this concept?

There is also the seeming rarity of true Vecs in EP, with, apparently, all of them being AGIs which sleeve into a synth body to live an embodied existence, so I was wondering if this is commonplace in OA, or if Vecs always just come from their specific bit of computronium.

Next there is also the apparent attitude that mostly everyone in-universe seems to adhere to pattern identity theory, as they’re all okay with uploading their mindstate as code and having it shit across the system to them be placed within a new body at the destination, which, to me, appears to be suicide for the sake of easier travel, so I was wondering if individuals in OA do this, as apparently pattern identity theory is popular in your universe as well

There is also the speed at which their nanoassemblers build things. I don’t know the math behind them but I have seen that they build things incredibly fast for the tech level EP is at, so I was curious if the way they’re portrayed in that universe it consistent with how they could realistically exist, and if they could actually print what they can in EP.

Finally, we have the Pods. Pod people, at least to me, seem to be bionoids, and are people grown in pods which have non-sophont AI inhabit them in order to cut through the uncanny valley but also be service providers while simultaneously allowing the nearbaselines of EP to sleeve easily into things that would otherwise be very hard to create with their technology level. I was wondering if this depiction of Bionoids is consistent with how they’re portrayed in the OA setting, and if this is how they’re created.

To anyone taking the time to read or reply I appreciate it, and am looking forward to seeing any responses!
Baseline -> Neb -> Tweak -> Su -> Po (Gradual Upload)

Messages In This Thread
Eclipse Phase Concepts in OA - by Banelord - 03-24-2019, 04:47 AM
RE: Eclipse Phase Concepts in OA - by stevebowers - 03-24-2019, 05:33 AM
RE: Eclipse Phase Concepts in OA - by stevebowers - 03-24-2019, 05:41 AM
RE: Eclipse Phase Concepts in OA - by Rynn - 03-24-2019, 09:43 AM
RE: Eclipse Phase Concepts in OA - by Drashner1 - 03-24-2019, 11:39 AM
RE: Eclipse Phase Concepts in OA - by stevebowers - 03-25-2019, 05:40 AM
RE: Eclipse Phase Concepts in OA - by Drashner1 - 03-25-2019, 06:07 AM
RE: Eclipse Phase Concepts in OA - by Drashner1 - 03-25-2019, 06:12 AM