The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Data Panels
Speaking in general terms, my main goal in bringing this up is to try to develop a single consistent data panel design for Empires, another for Systems, and another for Worlds. Right now, the content that is contained in our data panels in these different areas can vary wildly and even where there is consistency in content, the order it is presented in can vary from example to example.

There is also the issue of what some of the content in a DP is telling a reader - Things like 'metapsychology' often come across (to me anyway) as vague and sometimes feel like they were copy/pasted across multiple articles. It's not even clear what 'metapsychology' means. Also, given the scale of the empires, do concepts like 'architecture' as a category even make sense? So, along with improving consistency, I would suggest that we look at what subjects are covered (or not covered as the case may be) and potentially make some additions and subtractions.

Re the technical limitations of the data panels - This sounds like something we should bring up with Trond. I would presume that implementing the site redesign takes precedence over this (but let me know if I'm wrong), but the issues can't be fixed if we don't bring them up. I know that for me the data panel creation is very challenging. Which may simply be a matter of not having much experience with it, or be a factor in the tool itself. Steve (and other Editors if you've worked with the DP tool) what are your thoughts on this?

In terms of LOE, once we come up with a solid design for each type of data panel, I would suggest that a blank 'template copy' of each be stored to the CMS so that it can just be copy/pasted into whatever article needs it and then filled in. This will (hopefully) be much easier than handcrafting a new one each time it's needed.

Todd

Messages In This Thread
Data Panels - by Drashner1 - 04-20-2019, 11:12 PM
RE: Data Panels - by The Astronomer - 04-21-2019, 01:17 AM
RE: Data Panels - by stevebowers - 04-24-2019, 07:47 AM
RE: Data Panels - by stevebowers - 04-24-2019, 07:49 AM
RE: Data Panels - by Drashner1 - 04-25-2019, 10:56 PM