The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Now, what did I just wander into... No way.......
My currently favoured concept of the multiverse is a 5-dimensional block universe. Every individual timeline exists as a 3-dimensional universe, which is extended in a 4th dimension of time; however the many-worlds phenomena in quantum physics cause this 4-dimensional structure to branch into myriad alternates, which coexist as a 5-dimensional tree of possibilities. This 5-dimensional structure can be eternal and unchanging, but it includes an infinite (or near-infinite) number of branching possibilities, allowing the illusion of free-will and a changeable future fate for intelligent 3-D entities embedded within it.

However the people of the Terragen Sphere do not have any way to navigate between timelines, so the multiverse remains a theory. Both timetravel into the absolute past and travel between alternates remain impossible, even for archailects. Allowing either possibilities in OA would create a kind of chaos that would remove any intelligible narrative, as far as I can see.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Now, what did I just wander into... No way....... - by stevebowers - 01-09-2020, 09:20 PM