The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

The Last Pandemic In Human History
Quote:You know what is in every livestock veterinarian's practice? A liquid-nitrogen dewar for storing and transferring livestock semen at temperatures well below what's required for mRNA vaccines. The capability to do that, and therefore the hardware required, are simply part of the ordinary requirements of the practice. And it's not even a major expense for them; they can order one out of the catalog for a few hundred bucks, and liquid nitrogen, even if they lack the ability to make it, is already cheaper than milk.

The problem is that for  all those vaccines you gonna need more a room than a small -80°C fridge.

Quote: And while actually performing the work is still expensive, it looks like the IP issues are getting the hell out of the way; Biden is apparently ordering a release of the IP to the world so that nations in need can do it for themselves when they need to. "Lives over profits" was the tagline on the article. With the IP issues done, I'm not convinced that the cost of doing it is so high for any reason relating to inherent difficulty of actually doing it or necessarily expensive components of facilities where it can be done.

It was never an IP issue: just think it from the POW of the  companies: you want to produce as many doses as possible because a vaccine is, hopefully, a one-shot (or two) deal. And competition is not thight, is as brutal as a WWI melee in the trences, with TENS of vaccines at the approval stage and a few already on the market. You have to produce and sell ASAP.
All the facilites that  can produce them are for surely working 24/7 no stop.
And I'd also say that at the moment politician need a lot of scapegoats and the pharmaceutical companies probably fit the role quite well Dodgy

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/ar...ufacturing

I leave this article that goes into the more techical aspects of production of vaccines right now. It should be ok for everyone but if you have any doubts I can try to explain them.
Semi-professional threads diverter.

Messages In This Thread
The Last Pandemic In Human History - by Bear - 05-09-2021, 12:04 PM
RE: The Last Pandemic In Human History - by Vitto - 05-10-2021, 12:30 AM
RE: The Last Pandemic In Human History - by Bear - 05-10-2021, 02:54 PM
RE: The Last Pandemic In Human History - by Vitto - 05-10-2021, 04:48 PM
RE: The Last Pandemic In Human History - by Bear - 05-11-2021, 06:51 AM
RE: The Last Pandemic In Human History - by Vitto - 05-11-2021, 07:36 AM
RE: The Last Pandemic In Human History - by Bear - 05-11-2021, 02:50 PM
RE: The Last Pandemic In Human History - by Bear - 05-15-2021, 01:11 AM