The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

SCYNXTH
(06-05-2023, 11:13 PM)Drashner1 Wrote:
(06-05-2023, 04:23 AM)SCYNXTH Wrote: - Transcendent Burn-out Theory: I didn't think of that one, but it would probably help answering a few questions I had about my story. (This is the kind of situation that makes me think quoting Orion's Arm in my credits is the right thing to do while still feeling somewhat guilty about it.)

I'd need to know more about how you're using the concept and if you're looking to use the specific term or would be open to using a different term before I could really make a judgement call on this one. Can you please tell us a bit more about this aspect of your setting?

Well no I'm definitely not using the term as it is, and probably not even using a term for it.

In my story, one of the main characters needs guidance and is given the chance to visit the one ascended AC named Cosmos who still accepts being contacted. A deep conversation ensues, and after that some more general questions about what the ascended (they're called the AlephOnes) are doing. Cosmos explains among other things that the AlephOnes are certain that there is alien life out there, although there are only unmistakable signs, but no contact (this is the only time alien life is discussed in the story btw). Then the Drake equation is put on the table for a bit. It makes sense that when discussing this matter with an AlephOne, the concept of other alien civilisations have ascended comes up. It would also make sense that at least one of the AlephOnes is trying to take the whole of humanity to the next level because it would greatly increase the chances of survival of their civilization in the distant future.

(06-05-2023, 11:13 PM)Drashner1 Wrote: As far as including an attribution statement to OA in your work, we are happy to discuss that and are generally pretty flexible about it (no need to feel guilty, you're far from the first person to do this). But based on what you're telling us so far, I'm not seeing a burning need for such. OTOH if you'd like to work in such a statement just to sort of cover your bases and not have to discuss everything with us, I can understand that.  Just let us know what you'd prefer. Smile

Hope this helps,

Todd

It does help, thanks! I think I prefer to tell you when I see similarities that seem exclusive to OA, since you don't seem to mind. It costs me some time but it also helps me put some things in order.

Messages In This Thread
SCYNXTH - by SCYNXTH - 05-30-2023, 02:52 PM
RE: SCYNXTH - by Drashner1 - 05-30-2023, 09:57 PM
RE: SCYNXTH - by SCYNXTH - 05-31-2023, 03:04 AM
RE: SCYNXTH - by Worldtree - 05-31-2023, 08:52 PM
RE: SCYNXTH - by SCYNXTH - 06-05-2023, 04:23 AM
RE: SCYNXTH - by Drashner1 - 06-05-2023, 11:13 PM
RE: SCYNXTH - by SCYNXTH - 06-06-2023, 02:45 AM