The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Transcendence- Spoiler Corner
(04-29-2014, 09:23 AM)Ares Johnson Wrote: Rynn, I hadn't considered it at the time, but you're right about his social intelligence.

Given that social intelligence is a huge factor of human intelligence it shows a big lack of imagination when AI in films aren't better at it. In keeping with the theme of the film Depp's character should have been more charming, charismatic and compelling than every human that had ever existed. He should have been able to represent himself to different individuals and groups as the perfect mentor/leader figure defined by what that group would best respond to. If you can become a super-genius at computer science, biology, nanotechnology, economics etc then it holds that you should also be able to become a super-genius at public speaking, psychology, leadership, politics etc.

Along those lines this would have been cool to show in his lab if alongside all the physical technologies he also had a plethora of models of how to solve social problems. I.e "this is a schematic of a new form of political organisation that will maximise democracy without necessitating a large bureaucracy or a lot of time" (cut to a computer representation of a dynamic network of groups across a country) or "this is an executive summary of a report I've just sent to every world government. It details a variety of simple economic policies that will eliminate budget deficit, bring rapid growth and decrease inequality. This is just a solution to the current problems though, a patch if you will. I'm also working on an entirely new theory of economics that if implemented will eliminate poverty for good."

(04-29-2014, 09:23 AM)Ares Johnson Wrote: I can understand hiding though. After all, people did try to kill him very quickly after his rebirth.

True but running to hide was a short term solution that worked out worse in the long run. He should have worked that out pretty quickly.

(04-29-2014, 09:23 AM)Ares Johnson Wrote: I'm not sure how I feel about the virus part, as I'm not entirely sure whether he let it kill him, given the circumstances surrounding that scene.

The film made out like he let it kill him in the end but for much of it he didn't want to do that.

(04-29-2014, 09:23 AM)Ares Johnson Wrote: The last moments of the movie did leave me wondering if that nanotech in the water would get to work fixing things.

I thought something similar. I thought that what would happen was that it would be revealed that the image we were presented with was designed to make us come to the wrong conclusions. That in actual fact the ubiqitious nanotech hadn't been destroyed as will had but had gone on to heal the world and provide infrastructure to supply everyone's needs.

(04-29-2014, 09:23 AM)Ares Johnson Wrote: Despite these points, I absolutely loved this movie. Like all movies it has its flaws, but it was everything I hoped for and nothing I feared.

I think the film was overall quite enjoyable even with its flaws. Especially given that it really is the first film of its kind.

Messages In This Thread
Transcendence- Spoiler Corner - by Ares Johnson - 04-27-2014, 07:33 AM
RE: Transcendence- Spoiler Corner - by Dalex - 04-27-2014, 07:04 PM
RE: Transcendence- Spoiler Corner - by Rynn - 04-29-2014, 12:45 AM
RE: Transcendence- Spoiler Corner - by Rynn - 05-01-2014, 11:21 PM
RE: Transcendence- Spoiler Corner - by Drashner1 - 03-10-2017, 12:59 PM
RE: Transcendence- Spoiler Corner - by Avengium - 03-09-2017, 10:46 PM
RE: Transcendence- Spoiler Corner - by Avengium - 03-10-2017, 09:40 PM
RE: Transcendence- Spoiler Corner - by selden - 03-10-2017, 10:07 PM
RE: Transcendence- Spoiler Corner - by Avengium - 03-10-2017, 10:24 PM
RE: Transcendence- Spoiler Corner - by Bear - 03-11-2017, 11:51 AM